free website stats program Road King Ignition problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Ignition problem

Mark Cates

My 1996 FLHR appears to be "eating" the ignition module, I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the factory manual and determined that the module was bad. Replaced it with a used module and it worked for a short time, (about two weeks). Is there another part of the system that would static check good but cause the module to fail, or was the used module just on its last legs also?

Is there another part of the system that would static check good but cause the module to fail, or was the used module just on its last legs also?

The module drives the coil directly. If the primary side of the coil has a few shorted turns it could toast the module. It would be very hard to detect a few shorted turns with a simple ohm meter check.

Also an internal "flash-over" inside the coil could send a spike back into the module.
Be sure to check the ground wire on the module. Make sure it's good.

I'm not an electrical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but when I searched the Electrical section of our Self Help Tips, someone suggested building a breakout box to test individual items at a connector. Might help you troubleshoot.

Here's the 2 posts I'm referring to:

Harley Davidson Community

Harley Davidson Community

Back