free website stats program Road King idling high | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King idling high

big donnie

My 2011 road king idles too high and I cannot hear that good potato potato sound. I have the electronic throttle control and Harley says I can re-set this to factory, need help.

I cannot hear that good potato potato sound.

I don't think any late model engine can be made to sound like the engines of yesterday because of the cam profiles we have today. Those Potato engines were VERY nasty for the environment due to valve overlap,,, something we don't have.

Just my opinion but it's going to take more than just slowing down the engine speed to get the sound we all love.

Your bike is meant to idle at 950-1050 RPM's and if you try to lower it without the use of a digital tech that the dealer uses , all you do is to mess up all the settings like TPS and others and it will return to where it was before you tried to adjust it on it's own.

This idle speed is meant to be to keep the charge of the battery up for the electronic fuel injection and oil delivery. If you didn't have the proper idle speed, these systems would suffer.

If you want the potato potato sound, then buy a potato potato bike. :D

I hear ya, I sure do miss that sound. Sold a 1976 built hardtail sportster chopper a couple of years ago and I can still hear that potato engine idle. I guess you've got to give up something to get something.

My 2011 road king idles too high and I cannot hear that good potato potato sound. I have the electronic throttle control and Harley says I can re-set this to factory, need help.

Even if you could reset your idle you would not duplicate that famous sound with out damage to all internal engine parts due to lack of oil supply and heat you would also damage electronics including but not limited to your charging system. Shovel heads and Pan heads had that distinct sound, as the Evo and our modern Twin Cams came along that sound has changed some but it is still The best V TWIN sound out there IMO:s

Back