free website stats program Road King grips change work time | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King grips change work time

Giopad65

Hi everybody, I was wondering how long it could take to install the Get-A-Grip grips on my 2009 (TBW) Road King.
Do you think 2 hours is adequate or too much?
TIA

I am not sure how long will it take but I think you will need a new TBW to install along with your new grips. It happened to me with new grips and hertiage bar. I think it is just bad design... :small3d002:

Hi everybody, I was wondering how long it could take to install the Get-A-Grip grips on my 2009 (TBW) Road King.
Do you think 2 hours is adequate or too much?
TIA

Changed my grips 2X on my 09 SG and 1X on my buddies 10 RK. Average time is about 30-40 min.

Do we need new TBW? I havent done that myself. dealership did for me. I believe we can keep existing TBW...

The TBW is inside the handlebar and is not touched. If your dealer has charged you 2 hrs to change your grips then he has overcharged you.

Thank you Oiler. 2 hours is actually the dealer's proposal, I haven't accepted yet. And I don't think I will, at this point. ;-)

Mine took 30-min, and this included stopping to snap pics:

1. Protect brake switch.
01Protect Brake SW.jpg
2. Remove brake reservoir torx (2).
02Remove 2-Torx.jpg
3. Support brake reservoir (tie-wraps).
03Hang Brake.jpg
4. Remover lower control torx (1).
04Remove Torx.jpg
5. Remove upper control torx (2).
05Remove TorxSW.jpg

6. Separate control 1/2's & remove Right grip.
06Split-RemoveR.jpg
7. Install Right grip & reverse torx screw removal to re-install. Be "careful" with throttle control wires (don't pinch) and ensure brake switch protector is still in-place.
07InstallR.jpg
8. Remove Left grip torx (same place/order as Right).
08RemoveL.jpg
9. Split control & cut/slide Left grip off bars. Clean bar & I spray "hairspray" into new Left grip before sliding on (vs. glue). Reverse torx screw install & enjoy!
09InstallL.jpg

BTW, I have a nice set of HD Aileron grips for sale in classifieds ($50/shipped).
IMG_5025.jpg

Thanks for that nice pictorial Iceman. I have an '07 so I'm not familiar with the TBW. Where is the TBW sensor on the right bar? Is a throttle tube part of the new right grip assembly, or is the old grip removed and the original tube reused?

Breeze; the TBW "rotator" is at the tip of the Right bar (grey/sticks-out). It's a gear & mates w/gears on inside of Right grip. Unless you break it during install - there's no need to change because it's permanent.

Back