free website stats program Road King Fuel Pump Issue | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Fuel Pump Issue

Holy (EDIT) (EDIT) .
So the bike still would not start. Went back to what my dad used to always say It's Fuel or spark". He said it last week too. No, It's Fuel, Spark and 100 sensors, a computer, magic, etc.

I pulled a plug wire and put an old plug in there to check spark. On crank, no spark. Either plug.
But when I let off the start switch I got one spark. Went back to the Fuel Pump Relay, which was brand new from Harley by the way. I pulled it and put the original relay in there. Plenty of spark now.

Plugged both ECM's in, starts with them both, even starts with my PCIII (but runs like (EDIT) )
need to check program.

Just to verify I plugged the (new) relay back in, same story, no spark, no start.

Took it out for a test drive with original ECM and Original Fuel pump relay installed.
Rode for 20 minutes, turned off and back on several times, no problems.

At this point all I can say is..........My orginal problem must have been corrected by one of the sensors I replaced, Crankshaft, Camshaft or Engine temp.

However the very first part I tried replacing was the fuel pump relay (new bad one) so I never could tell that I actually got it fixed, because I introduced another problem.

For anyone else following this novel, I had power to the Fuel pump, even with bad relay.
So I hear fuel pump whine, why would I think Fuel pump relay is bad.
That relay provides power to Fuel Pump, Coil and Injectors. (explains codes 24, 25, 23, 32)

So I have taken the for sale sign off, and will continue to test drive a little farther away from the house, when I feel more confident I will not be pushing it home.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I hope this thread somehow helps someone else, If you can follow it that is :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being able to leave well enough alone, I had to see why this relay was bad.
I bought two brand new relays from HD Dealer. I busted them both open.
As you can see from the attachment. One of the relays clearly has a MFG defect.
The armature is clearly bent and making partial contact.
The other relay which is actually good is nice and straight and making good contact.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
Good follow up on the reason why. Incredible that you went back and changed the new relay back to original. Most of the time when someone installs a "new" part, that's it. It's done...... it can't be bad. But this time it was.

I knew I should of made you an offer when the bike was for sale!! :)

FLHPI - Determination at it's finest. I would have started twitching a week into it.

Fantastic assist by Hoople and Jack.....my hat's off to you all.

Thanks for the read, worthy of saving for future reference.

I agree. Great bunch of folks here. Quick responses and patience.
Took the bike out last night for a "long" test drive. Everything is good.

I am running minus the PCIII and it runs better without it. I used to get a lot
of backfire "gun shots" when coming off the throttle, from the Vance and Hines straight pipes. Now its nice and smooth. I do not notice any loss of performance.

The PCIII was on the bike when I bought it. I am sure it just needs to be "tuned". But for the near future I am leaving it off. (Besides I am now out of money for any tuning or parts replacements)

I learned so much about my bike in this process and I sure hope this can help someone else. And hopefully I can start helping others.

Give it back, ya know.

I'll be honest at one point I was not sure it would ever see the road again.
See before and after.

Thanks Again!!!

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 23
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 22
Back