free website stats program Road King FLHP Dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King FLHP Dilemma

Bait

I am in the market for a replacement bike. I have decided on a Road King FLHP (Police Model). The 2008's with around 3500 miles on them are going for around $13K locally. My local dealer does the police leases for the area and I asked them to keep me in mind when they get a black one as all they have in stock are in white. They have a 2009 Police with 450 miles on it; it is the demo bike used by their Police Riding Instructor. They are asking $18,600.00 out the door (haven't did any negotiations yet). The high NADA book value on a 2009 Road King FLHR is $16,600.00 (96 ci engine). The 103 ci engine and air seat are worth at least another $2K. Is a used bike really worth $18K?

not in opinion , cop bikes are always cheaper . never seen blackones unless repainted from what i seen . see them on craigs alot cheaper . that is where i found mine 2000 roadking white and black .mainly white . most people scrap the air seat for two up riding . u can get a rear pad and keep it if u want. i wouldnt pay xtra for it though. shop around there out there . ive seen the air seats for sale 200 to 250 complete . retiredpolicebikes.com good site they sell some there to privatly. good luck looking dont jump on first one u see

Thanks, I will check out the web site. We do have some black ones in the NE, just hard to find. I want at least a 2008. They went to the 103 ci in 2007 and the 2008 has a bigger throttle body than the 2007. The 2009 with the frame upgrades and the bigger rear tire would be nice too :) but may be a bit much for me to swing.

Is a used bike really worth $18K?

I wouldn't pay that much for the bike. It's a bit excessive. Many of the police bikes lack the chrome pieces that their counterparts have and the seat and 103 are standard on the police bikes and IMO aren't worth the extra that they are charging for this one.

Also if it was an instructors bike, what I would wonder is how much abuse the clutch and other parts have on them in the 450 miles of use.

I wouldn't pay that much for the bike. It's a bit excessive. Many of the police bikes lack the chrome pieces that their counterparts have and the seat and 103 are standard on the police bikes and IMO aren't worth the extra that they are charging for this one.

Also if it was an instructors bike, what I would wonder is how much abuse the clutch and other parts have on them in the 450 miles of use.

To bet think a honest I didn't think about any type of abuse at 450 miles; something else to consider.

It would be the first consideration IMO because the instructors usually ride them hard while teaching recruits.:s

Slipping the clutch to teach slow speed maneuvers is the norm for them.

bought my 01 in 05 w 12k. clutch was spent as was the rear tire. bike is white but there are blue and black here in delaware. go with what glider says. these things do take abuse just like cop cars. they aren't used for fun.
they get traded often and are just another tool for leo's. buyer beware.

I bought my 06 rdking police in 07 with 8000 miles on it and a warrenty and new tires( they pulled the police tires because there not rated for two up weights) spent the winter de-policeing it , put in a stage 1 and throwing chrome at it. got to see the service records too! just got back from a 9 day trip to the black hills sd and couldent be more proud of my road king and the way it handles and runs!

I bought a 2006 in 2009 for $11k, new tires and 2 year warranty 22k miles. A great bike and I think a good buy. Big bore, air shocks, air seat ABS. I would make sure you get it from the dealer that leases them to the LEO and get the service history.

The police bikes with no miles would scare me a lot. Have you ever observed what goes on at a closed course officer training faciility? Yikes. Even with fire hose covering up the frame and engine guards, they still are taking all that shock from being dropped, high sided and skidded. I think in officer training the rider drops his bike at least ten times a day up until the final week. No miles, just abuse. FLHP on display? I guess it could happen, but I imagine there is another reason for the low miles. I think if I had to have a hp model, I might try to look for one that might have been used for duty and not training. That is just me of course. :)

Bait, if you are willing to pay that much for an 09, why not buy a brand new 10?
They sell them in Calif for under 18k plus tax and license.

Back