free website stats program Road King engine syn oil use | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King engine syn oil use

jlmahoneyjr

I was told that you should not use a syn oil (20W50) if your m/c has only used a HD 20W50 oil. I have a 2001 Road King with about 13000 miles. I would think that I could change to a sys oil with not problems. Thanks in Advance

Welcome to the forum Jim, do some research and you'll switch. A lot of the old wise tails come from the old days when folks were running oils without the cleaning additives that modern oils have, in 01 even reg. oils had plenty of cleaning additives.

First 5K miles on my RG I used dino HD360. Recently switched to Mobil 1 and no issues. Also in my '02 Sporty, used dino oil for the first 5K miles as well, then switched to Mobil 1 and no issues. I should have switched earlier as Mobil 1 helps alot in FLs hot summer.

Ride safe and have fun.

Change your oil often, use synthetic because it can take higher temperatures with out breakdown and your equipment will last longer if you are treating it right. And you might be paying a little more for it but think of it a as assurance and you will feel confident that you are doing the best for your ride.

Gator454

I was told that you should not use a syn oil (20W50) if your m/c has only used a HD 20W50 oil. I have a 2001 Road King with about 13000 miles. I would think that I could change to a sys oil with not problems. Thanks in Advance

I have a 2009 Road King which I did the first 1000 miles with factory oil then switched to Ames Oil Syn 20/50 in the engine and primary and Ames Heavy Gear in the trany. With factory the trany had a whine in first and fifth, the Ames Gear oil fixed that right away.

I have a 2009 Road King which I did the first 1000 miles with factory oil then switched to Ames Oil Syn 20/50 in the engine and primary and Ames Heavy Gear in the trany. With factory the trany had a whine in first and fifth, the Ames Gear oil fixed that right away.

Had a blond moment, there is no E in Amsoil!!

Last edited by a moderator:
NEVER too late to switch. I changed over my UC in Feb '07 with 58,108 on the clock. Had SYN3 in it when I bought it, and I used only HD360. After my cam chain tensioner shoe nuked, I started investigating engine oils. Switched to M1 vTwin 20W50.

Was running the HD tranny lube in the transmission until it started leaking oil (Chop, have you sorted where that was coming from?). Have ONLY run Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil in the SE 6-spd that I replaced the OEM 5-spd with.

I run Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil in the primary.

TQ

Back