free website stats program Road King CVO Engine Light intermitant codes | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King CVO Engine Light intermitant codes

Anita

Can any one give any idea's please?
Under bikes warranty a throttle sensor was replaced.

Bike fine for a while

Engine light now keeps coming on
codes p1510 & P2138
Harley Technician has cleared codes and says that throttle sensor fine
Off I go
Engine light back on
Same codes
Harley Technican says could be fuel pack as Vance Hinds Stage one kit on bike
Fuel pack removed to try to elimiate faulty Fuel pack
Bike fine for 20 mile
Engine light comes back on when restarted
(lot of swearing)
Harley Technician take bike out . Bike fine for 50 miles with stopping and starting.
Then engine light back on, drop in revs to 2000 then picked up again.
Apparently code now saying that bike is in gear when starting when in fact it is in neutral.
Has any one experienced similar problems

I would say with the codes set that you have a problem with the twist grip sensor and the bike is going into limp home mode. The dealer should be able to trouble shoot it with the digital tech.

P2138
TGS Correlation Error (Twist grip sensor)

P1510 EFI Limited Performance Mode

Thanks for quick reply
Harley Dealer Technician is assures me that it is not this as these have been recently replaced.
Also had the code showing that the rear brake switch was open
In was the however the relay
I assume that this was correct as it hasn't come back on.

I've been wondering if may be a screaming eagle fuel pack may correct all this (no fuel pack on at present since vance hinds one taken off)

It seems to be intermitant

Ride .. no problem
Get fuel.. start up ... light on

Stop for coffee ... light off

Nothing is regular

If I clear the codes will it reinstate full power mode .. what I'm trying to say is when I'm out if the light decides to go off is it still in limited performance mode?

Harley Dealer Technician is assures me that it is not this as these have been recently replaced.

When an electrical contact pits/wears, both ends (male-female) need to be replaced. I will bet that only the male side was replaced because the female side is a job.

The error log is saying it happened. Why does the Harley tech have to see the error code appear for himself. Would that actually change anything. I can't see how it would.

Thanks for quick reply
Also had the code showing that the rear brake switch was open
In was the however the relay
I assume that this was correct as it hasn't come back on.

I've been wondering if may be a screaming eagle fuel pack may correct all this (no fuel pack on at present since vance hinds one taken off)

It seems to be intermitant

Ride .. no problem
Get fuel.. start up ... light on

Stop for coffee ... light off

Nothing is regular

If I clear the codes will it reinstate full power mode .. what I'm trying to say is when I'm out if the light decides to go off is it still in limited performance mode?

Even though these were replaced you are still showing codes which says it is still a problem. No matter what the tech says your still showing that this is a problem. How long has this been going on? You deserve to have a properly running motorcycle. Maybe you need to talk to the service manager or the owner.

Under bikes warranty a throttle sensor was replaced.

Another part of this P2138 error is if the repair to fix it was just changing out the parts with the SAME but new parts,,, guess what? => The problem will only return at a later time.
They are only fixing the behavior. Not the cause for the behavior.

Vibrating handle bars is not the place to have a mounted molex connector. It was a bad idea to start with.

Do you think that maybe this would throw up glitches ie when the code (sorry don't remember what it was ) said I was starting it in gear .... promise I wasn't...

Or the sudden drop of revs down to 2000 and then back up again

Thank you for all suggestions and help
Looks like I'm back off to the dealer
(may be I should learn how to fix a new throttle sensor myself!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that maybe this would throw up glitches ie when the code (sorry don't remember what it was ) said I was starting it in gear .... promise I wasn't...

Or the sudden drop of revs down to 2000 and then back up again

I don't have throttle by wire but my guess would be that once the firmware jumps to a P1510 condition, the system is staying there until a key recycle is made. It would make little sense and it would be very risky to switch from Limited Performance mode to Normal mode on the fly within the same key cycle. So once in limited mode there is no telling how the rest of the diagnostic program will behave.

I would not be very concerned about any other DTC's until the highest priority codes (P2138, P1510) were resolved.

Thank for your advice
Back to dealer and seeing technician tomorrow
Fingers crossed its resolved

Hi
I am trying to locate the Throttle Control Actuator and would be grateful if some one could point me in the right direction
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back