free website stats program Road King classic - best year? | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King classic - best year?

psam

Hi-

I'm new to this forum. My wife has been bugging me to get a bike. However, she won't ride anything but a Harley. I've been renting a few times a year for the last couple of years (I've had my license for 25 years but haven;t owned a bike for about 20 years). I'm gettting ready to take the plunge.

She likes the look of the Heritage Softail Classic, however, I like the ride of the Road King better. It sems to "fit" better. She said she would "settle" for a Road King as long as we get the leather bags (I'm assuming the Road King Classic).

Anyway, my question.....I'm looking at bikes from 2000 on up. A lot is dependant on cost. Is there a year that is better than others? Is there a particular year to avoid. From what I learned, none of the RKs have the balanced motor. Instread they have rubber mounted motors. Is that correct? Also, what milage do I have to start to worry about major maintenance such as clutches, etc.

I appriciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Welcome to the forum psam. Your wife may like the looks of the Heritage Softail Classic but, if you plan on doing any touring, she will much prefer the Road King. I don't know if there is a particular year to avoid but I do know that the /09's with the new frame, bigger wheels, new swing arm, etc. are better handling and smoother riding than previous years. You are right about the motor being rubber mounted, all the touring line have rubber mounted engines which means they shake at idle but smooth right out once the throttle is opened. As far as at what mileage you might have to worry about major maintenance, that totally depends on how the bike was cared for and maintained. If it was properly maintained, had regular oil changes ,etc. you may never have a problem. If not, well.... it's like anything else mechanical. Whatever model you decide to get, enjoy!

I'm with Subby.
I have had other H-D bikes but never a Road King until this fall with an '09.
WOW! Take a demo ride on whatever you are thinking of buying and compare for yourself.. but if the ride was any better on mine it would have a gold crest and say Cadillac

Just got an 09 RK,this is my fourth HD - 2 Sportys' and a SG - this by far and away a two person ride. Plenty of power and an incredible ride. I actually think it performs better in turns than flat out riding. Mine is all stock, right now, and I have no complaints except it's very quiet and I personally want a little more volume for the cages around me. If you can swing the bucks for a new one then you don't have to worry about care-you'll be the one doing it. Get the RK and you and Momma will both be happy.

Welcome psam! I have a 2005 RK Classic. Nary a problem. My buddies that have UC's and Fat Boys say that mine runs a heck of a lot better than theirs right off the dealership floor. Can't explain it but it does.. Good luck!

2001-02 were some good years IMO. The TC engines had their problems and weak areas but these had the least out of them.

Back