free website stats program Road King Chirp....still chasing | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Chirp....still chasing

I'm beginning to think that's the thing to do...no tunes but earplugs make it tolerable. I could make the pipes louder....just hate to settle....

NOW I'd Not suggest this to anyone else...

You said when the top valve cover is OFF the Noise is gone?

Why not try to Drill a hole thru the cover (area hidden on top) and place some type vent that you can attach a small hose to it and just let it Vent UP there.

OR ? A hole big enough that will fit a small tubeless valve stem and just allow it to be OPEN.? This valve stem would seal off the hole and allow air in and out....
IF it Whistles Maybe it will play a tune:swoon

Not too UNpractical and might work... OR a 90* elbow and tube running Down and allow any oil mist to drain out below the engine.

I AM As stumped as you are...

IF the cover is off and no noise WHY would this not work? It has to be something to do with the top cover and you have tried two gaskets and nothing worked there.... Now my thinking is it has to be air...:eam

signed....BUBBIE

Why not try to Drill a hole thru the cover (area hidden on top) and place some type vent that you can attach a small hose to it and just let it Vent UP there.

OR ? A hole big enough that will fit a small tubeless valve stem and just allow it to be OPEN.? This valve stem would seal off the hole and allow air in and out....

Not too UNpractical and might work... OR a 90* elbow and tube running Down and allow any oil mist to drain out below the engine.

IF the cover is off and no noise WHY would this not work? It has to be something to do with the top cover and you have tried two gaskets and nothing worked there.... Now my thinking is it has to be air...:eam

signed....BUBBIE

That's an intriguing idea....I guess you'd remove the inner valve stem and leave the tube open..? I do not hear the noise with the cover off. Of course the valve train noise is much louder but I don't hear the chirp. Would the oil mist make it's way out of the top of the open valve stem, do you think? If so, I guess the elbow and tube approach would be better. That's the kind of "outside the box" thinking that'll solve this eventually, I do believe....thanks for the tip, I'll let you know what happens if and when I do that. Thanks again!

signed....BUBBIE

I put an elbow in the rocker cover and vented the cylinder, didn't make a difference. I'm so stumped....runs great with earplugs

Don't know if it's an issue but you might want to take a look at the fuel tank mounts.

I've never tried it but I would think you could unbolt the tank and raise it up an inch or so. I would suspend the tank with straps from overhead or maybe just a couple of blocks of wood to keep it off the frame. Maybe someone who has done it will have some better ideas of how to secure it.

The length of the fuel line is a factor. There's no room to spare. I wonder if an extender is available....there's also the electrical connection from the harness to the tank that is limited. I wonder if anyone has built such a gizmo that would allow this?

I believe you are looking in the wrong place. If the cover off eliminated the chirp , I would think that is where the problem is. Using a stetascope to locate the noise or at least a rag placed at various locations to deaden or reduse the chirp would be the way I would go.At least that is the way we located troublesome noises when I was in that business.

I believe you are looking in the wrong place. If the cover off eliminated the chirp , I would think that is where the problem is. Using a stetascope to locate the noise or at least a rag placed at various locations to deaden or reduse the chirp would be the way I would go.At least that is the way we located troublesome noises when I was in that business.

You're probably right....I'm grasping at straws at this point. I'm gonna pull that cover off again and be absolutely certain that the noise is gone when the cover is off. I thought I was positive but the valve train noise is amplified with the cover off, of course, so I probably should double check that theory. Thanks..

Back