free website stats program Road King Chirp....still chasing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Chirp....still chasing

What is the lift of your cam? Do you see wear marks in the cover?

Nothing obvious....I've used clay as well as liquid paper on the ribs. I can't be absolutely certain that it's not hitting. Could be mishandling of the cover when I'm replacing it. The thing is, it just started with no mods, no work on the engine. I can't understand why it would all of a sudden start making noise...?? Makes me hesitant to think that something is hitting the cover....but yet, I don't hear the noise when I run the engine with the cover removed...

This may seem simplistic. Have the exhaust hangers on mufflers lubed or a baffle loose in muffler?????

This may seem simplistic. Have the exhaust hangers on mufflers lubed or a baffle loose in muffler?????

nothing is simplistic at this point...its not coming from there though...the rubber bushings have been replaced and the noise was present with the exhaust off...

I'm surprised you didn't Notice the post I put in... Or did you just Ignore it?

THE UMBRELLA valve CAN make a bad noise... Right in the middle of the head. You saying the noise Is Not there when the cover is OFF...... LOOSEN the bolts a Little to maybe make it Leak AIR around..... Noise Might be gone... Better yet Just replace the unit... That is the only place for AIR to move IN and OUT...

THINK....... :shock

signed....BUBBIE

I'm surprised you didn't Notice the post I put in... Or did you just Ignore it?

THE UMBRELLA valve CAN make a bad noise... Right in the middle of the head. You saying the noise Is Not there when the cover is OFF...... LOOSEN the bolts a Little to maybe make it Leak AIR around..... Noise Might be gone... Better yet Just replace the unit... That is the only place for AIR to move IN and OUT...

THINK....... :shock

signed....BUBBIE

I replaced the breathers...I wasn't sure what you mean when you talk about the vent...

Seems to me you have the answer but not the cure. Could you use two gaskets under the cover?

that's a good idea....I'll try it

Last edited by a moderator:
Question/suggestion. Would removing the air filter and placing a finger tip over each vent tube while the engine is idling alter the flow momentarily enough to check the vent system as a noise source? How close to the cam cover is the exhaust pipe and heat shield, close enough to interfere with engine shake?

Back