free website stats program Road King 08 - how suspicious should I be of this potential buy? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King 08 - how suspicious should I be of this potential buy?

mucho gracious for all the thoughts and ideas. The idea about the extended warranty being accepted or denied by HD seems to be a real good idea. Thanks to all.

I just saw Patrick's last post. I did run the VIN and there's an open recall for the fuel something (the paper's somewhere else), fuel filter housing or something. And, the 1000 k service wasn't done,, but I figure that's no huge deal 400 miles afterward. I'm going to see if the local HD store will accept an extended warranty. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is are you going to be thinking of this after you buy the bike? Will the questions still ring in your mind that something is wrong? IMO there are enough used bikes out there that are a good deal to be jumping on this one just because of the price.

Buy the time you service the bike and buy a warranty but a frw things like windshield what are you realley talking 1500 or so buy the new one and then its your baby,jel

My '09 RKC stock pipes had rust in them when it was brand new on the showroom floor, and fresh out of the crate. As mentioned above, it was a smart move to check the VIN with your local dealer. I would think that the selling dealer (even Honda) would at least do a basic service on it, but maybe not considering the few miles on it. Considering that most people would at least replace the stock exhaust w/ slip-ons, I don't know that I'd worry about the rust. Last but not least--I wasn't sure whether the bike was from the KC area, or you are, but MO does have a lemon law!! It'd be pretty tempting!!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the lemon law pertains to a vehicle over a certain price.

Each state is different. Some go by gross weight, some only include new vehicles, yada yada.

The biggest pain with the laws is that they specify how many times a certain repair needs to be attempted for a certain issue. I also believe that the lemon laws pertain to the manufacturer and not the selling dealer.

I would assume the most difficult part of winning a lemon law suit, with a used vehicle, is being able to prove the history of the bike. It's pretty difficult to prove you have a lemon if you don't have personal firsthand knowledge of what the bike has been through since day 1.

The best advice in a situation like this is either buy new or only buy used when the price is substantially lower than market. If using KBB or NADA I would never pay more than trade-in or wholesale prices. This leaves a buyer somewhere around 2 - 3000 as a cushion if the bike does turn out to need some unexpected work. To go out and buy used, just to save a grand or so from the dealers price, doesn't make much sense.

Back