free website stats program Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic

I rode them both at the HD of Dallas (Allen) Road Test event on Saturday.

First off, let me make a short statement: I now know why people pay 20K for a HD tourer rather than 14K for a Kaw/Honda tourer! These are truly magnificent m'cycles!

That said, I rode the UC and the RG, but it wasn't a fair test. The UC was factory stock but the RG was a Screaming Eagle, including the super shorty windshield. So, I couldn't really compare the 'touring' experience. I also noticed that I seemed to be stretched on the RG, much more comfortable on the UC. I kinda wanted to like the RG, it's a little sleeker (at least to me) and the upgrading process (seat, tourpack, etc) seems painless since I would still be able to remove the tourpack when I didn't need. After these rides though I would have to say I like the UC more. The only thing I'm going to notice though is the amount of heat held around the cockpit by the lowers. It was only 80* and the UC was WAY hotter on the ride than the RG. Can these be 'slipped' on and off?

Anyway, because of the format of the event, I didn't get to ride on the road. I'll have to fix that on another test ride, in the not too distant future :)

I loved the low speed handling of both bikes, I didn't notice their extra weight compared to my 'little' Vulcan, they're really quite nimble.

I like the UC now, it's really what I want (a purpose built 2 up tourer). I'll take them both on a highway run soon, and let you know what I think then.

I currently ride an RG but have owned a UC as well. For me, its a clear win for the RG. The RG felt so much more graceful at slow speeds, and so much more agile, that i fell in love with the ride immediately. For me the big question was Street Glide vs RG, and there again the test ride gave me a clear answer. That fairing on the RG wins all tests hands down... for me! My first Harley was the UC, bought back in the 90's, and the ride just wore me out. It took 10 years on a softtail before I put that UC behind me and tried a bagger again.
In the end, its the test ride that means everything. The RG fairing, mounted as mentioned to the chassis, means so much to the ride that I couldnt believe the difference.
Test em, test em again, and make certain- as we all know, when you're riding them you can't see them, the looks hardly matter (to me)- if youre posting up lots of miles, then its all about the ride... road test em and be sure!

Sorry- I forgot to mention- I changed out the bars on the RG to Heritage bars which move the controls back a couple of inches- much more comfortable for me. The riding position is adjustable, and not for a lot of money- lots of options out there and not that expensive at all. Don't let that effect your decision.

SK,

I take off the lowers during the Summer (actually late March/early April), and put them back on for the winter. My guides are when the morning air temp gets into the mid-50's. Riding down here in Texas (Houston area), that means that the lowers are on the bike about 5 months or less.

TQ

It is posts like this that prove the MC needs to bring back the Tour Glide. I did not like the fairing of the Tour glide, but it did have all the bells and whistles for the time, in fact the first HD I drove was my father-in-laws tour Glide Ultra Classic. I took some of the 09 line up for a test ride a few weeks back and they had a survey we took after for pros and cons on the new 09's and I put down "Bring back the Tour Glide." The MC needs to know people out here want the ultra, just on the RG. Anyone agree

Last edited:
Well since I have never riden a RG I can't offer an opinion on it. I can say however I love my 09 Ultra and have no regrets or desire for any other bike. It does everything perfectly for me and my better half. Judging by posts here, both bikes are great, pick the one that fits your needs the best and you will be happy.

I can say however I love my 09 Ultra and have no regrets or desire for any other bike. [/QUOTE]

Isn't that a great feeling???? :D

Back