free website stats program Road glide shuts off. | Harley Davidson Forums

Road glide shuts off.

saintNH

A friend of mine is having a problem where his 03 road glide is shutting down on him. The problem starts by the speedometer being inaccurate and going all over the place. Then if he pulls in the clutch and hits the front brake the bike shuts off. It restarts no problem. There are no error codes stored. Anyone heard of this?
WAP.gif

A friend of mine is having a problem where his 03 road glide is shutting down on him. The problem starts by the speedometer being inaccurate and going all over the place. Then if he pulls in the clutch and hits the front brake the bike shuts off. It restarts no problem. There are no error codes stored. Anyone heard of this?
WAP.gif

First thing to check here would be the battery, load test clean and tighten all connections, sweeping speedo and tach can be a sign of charging system issues, check charging system also http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-47714.html

Would the clutch and brake part shutting the bike down have anything to do with that? I know the brake runs the brake light, but is there any other power draw that would be enough to shut the bike down when this happens? The other thing I should mention is that he can make the speedometer do this almost on purpose by getting heavy on the throttle, which I think would go along with the battery/charging idea.
WAP.gif

If the problem still happens after doing what Jack suggested above, then I would replace the 40 amp circuit breaker to a 50 amp breaker.

If the problem still happens after doing what Jack suggested above, then I would replace the 40 amp circuit breaker to a 50 amp breaker.
Only use the designated size ckt. breaker that the bike is designed for!

You can replace the ckt. breaker with a new one but use the same size.

Adding a higher size breaker only gives the chance of burning up a component on the bike.

Find your problem, don't simply up the ckt. breaker.

Got to agree with gusotto on this one. I'm no electrical genius but I do know that each circuit breaker and fuse is a specific size for a reason. Bumping up to the next size doesn't fix the root problem and could actually cause new ones.

My 2004 Sportster had the same problem, drove me crazy until I found the reason WHY HD uses such a tiny key on the ignition switch. If you have ANY thing other than that key including that fancy HD logo FOB hanging off, REMOVE IT. :small3d002:

The added weight put onto the most used accessory on your bike will show up as intermittent cutout of the ignition...starting with a stutter and the speedometer going crazy and then it locks and bike shuts down...don't ask me how I know! :newsmile026:

There was still power to the bike, because my accessory plug still had power for the GPS, but the ignition looked like you had a partial shutdown, the speedometer needle was stuck in the mid position. No speedometer illumination, but the headlight was on.:newsmile071:

My 2004 Sportster had the same problem, drove me crazy until I found the reason WHY HD uses such a tiny key on the ignition switch. If you have ANY thing other than that key including that fancy HD logo FOB hanging off, REMOVE IT. :small3d002:

The added weight put onto the most used accessory on your bike will show up as intermittent cutout of the ignition...starting with a stutter and the speedometer going crazy and then it locks and bike shuts down...don't ask me how I know! :newsmile026::

The Road Glide has the bagger ignition switch with a barrel key so you can't leave the key in the ignition. The ignition switch may be going bad and cause this problem though. There may be a issue with the shut off switch located in the throttle side switch housing so you may want to check that too.

Adding a higher size breaker only gives the chance of burning up a component on the bike.

Agree with above but awhile back there was a service bulletin on some model(s) that I cannot remember the details, that part of the fix was to replace the problematic maxi with the 50amp version. You guys remember that and which model it was ?

Got to agree with gusotto on this one. I'm no electrical genius but I do know that each circuit breaker and fuse is a specific size for a reason. Bumping up to the next size doesn't fix the root problem and could actually cause new ones.

Agree with above but awhile back there was a service bulletin on some model(s) that I cannot remember the details, that part of the fix was to replace the problematic maxi with the 50amp version. You guys remember that and which model it was ?

Bulletin M-1151A
Main Circuit breaker replacement

http://box.net/rssdownload/322675580/Main%20circuit%20breaker%20replacement.pdf

The main circuit breaker on my 2003 E/G would trip out and lose all power. I upgraded from the 40 amp to the 50 amp and the problem went away. I done this upgrade back in 2009 and have not had any more problems nor have I created any new problems by doing this. The 40 amp breaker would heat up ( being under sized) and trip out. Not a fun feeling when you are in heavy traffic. Just saying.

Back