free website stats program Road Glide Mirrors-Heritage Bars | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide Mirrors-Heritage Bars

LIRider

Account Removed
I recently picked up an 04 Road Glide. One of the issues I have with this bike is the short stems on the mirrors providing a pretty poor viewing angle. Are ther any replacement mirrors available with longer stems that can get the mirrors a little further out so I can see what is going on behind me. I find the stock mirrors almost useless.
Also, I have come to understand that replacing the stock bars with Heritage bars will provide more pull-back without having to change cables. Is this right?

Being a new owner, I may have lots more questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

Right on the heritage bars and they do make longer stem mirrors that are the same as the shorter stem ones in looks.
Try positioning the mirror stems at a 90* angle from the center line of the bike instead of being pulled inwards like most are. It may give you enough to see better. The longer stem mirrors also vibrate and distort the image more than the shorter stem versions.

Just a heads up... I have a Clearview windshield. It lays back more than stock, so if you get longer stems AND you plan on adding a new shield that lays back more, on top of what Glider states, your mirrors may hit the shield alot. My stock mirrors are only 1/8-1/4" away at full turn and if they were higher, they would hit even before full lock.

Now, Ironmark mentioned that with just the Heritage bars and stock stems, it helped alot on his vision and it gave him even more room between the shield and mirror.

Just a few things to think about as we all know one change impacts other items downstream.

Have fun and ride safe!

I added the HD mirror extensions on my RG. I also have a Clearview windshield and have no problems with clearance... even when I had the Heritage bars on.

Thanks for the info guys, I also have a problem with the mirrors on my RG, I get a good view of my shoulders and not much else. Somewhere I have the stock bars from my old Heritage, I'll have to try swapping them.

That's waht I love about this place, you guys know everything! :worthy:worthy:worthy

I will be buying the shop manual, but in the meanwhile, I plan on changing the bars myself. I have worked plenty on bikes over the years, but I have a question on the RG. How difficult is it to get the gauge nacelle out of the way to get to the bar clamps? The controls appear nothing unusual, but that is the only thing I am unsure of.

Nearly everyone who has a Road Glide and rides a lot complains of the poor view afforded by the stock mirrors.
I have an 09 and I put a Clearview windshield on it last November 2008. According to the owner of the company he started shipping an updated version of his Road Glide windshield in late October 08 that addressed the problem of the right hand mirror coming in contact with his Clearview shields when the wheel was turned to the lock position. He said most of the complaints were from 2008 Road Glide owners. He redesigned the shield and began shipping the new ones in October. I got one of the new shields and have been very happy with it.
Now I had a great windshield but still had problems with limited visibility using the stock mirrors. First I tried the mirror extensions. That didn't work because with the added height the mirror hit the windshield when the wheel was pointed straight ahead. Next I tried the mirrors with the 2" longer stems. The longer stems cleared the Clearview windshield fine but there was no added visibility. Back to square one.

Here are some pics of stock bars, Clearview windshield (stock length but lays back more) and stock mirrors on an 09 RG. You can see how close it is already. So just sharing incase someone adds longer stems on stock bars and then wants a shield that lays back more. They MAY run into issues.

RoadGlideMirror0001.jpg

RoadGlideMirror0002.jpg

RoadGlideMirror0003.jpg

Back