free website stats program Road Glide, Inner Fairing Trim Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide, Inner Fairing Trim Replacement

Timotwo

Hey All,

I'm getting ready to replace the inner fairing trip on my Road Glide ('08) and just wondering if anyone knows what that "glue" is that they use to adhere the trim? I can't find it called out in the service manual... While we're at it, anyone know what you would use to remove the existing stuff?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Timotwo

I used a small amount of contact cement on mine it worked well

A little follow up...

It seems as though the trim I installed was "pre-glued". I cleaned the old glue off completely (by the way, a product called "Lift Off" worked REALLY well and it's safe for plastic too). When I put the new strip on for a "test fit" prior to putting on the glue, as I was removing it, there was a bunch more glue. So, it appears as though I either DIDN'T get all the original glue off (which I really can't imagine) or this piece I purchased already had the glue in it.

I've reassembled everything and took it for big ol' test ride...Everything seems fine.

If I'm taking the fairing off again in a month or so to "re-glue" it, I'll be sure to post a follow-up saying I was wrong.

Thanks!

Timotwo:newsmile045:

Pep Boys used to sell that kind of trim in 3 foot packages. I bought some for the trim around the gas tank plate on my old bike. It was pre glued... you slid it over the edge and squeezed the sides down hard. Stuff lasted forever. I don't know if they still sell it, but I'd guess so. It was pretty cheap, too. I'm sure it's less than at the dealership.

Back