free website stats program Road Glide HD Lowers - installed | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide HD Lowers - installed

Grillfish

Just put these HD lowers on last evening. Everything went pretty smoothly. For those adding HD lowers to the 2009 and before RGs, some helpful hints...

No need to move the clutch cable in front of the crash bar. (At least worked on my 09).

Put the glove boxes in first, then install the lowers as one glove box mounting screw on mine was behind the crash bar. If your hand is small, you can reach inside and screw in the bolt attaching the top of the lower to the mount.

Make sure you measure the fairing mounts and adjust to at least 5 1/4" from the frame. This creates the space needed so the fairing doesn't hit the frame. Also creates some space to adjust the fairing so the top doesn't hit the bottom of the front fairing.

I may try a shorter windshield as this will cut the buffeting coming from below, but will wait and see.

I may take a ride for lunch today and test them out. Then will test them out on a longer ride this weekend as the weather is suppose to be nice.

Ride safe and have fun.

100_0198.jpg

100_0199.jpg

100_0197.jpg

100_0196.jpg

Very sharp looking RG. Can't wait for the test ride results b/c I'm thinking of putting a set of lowers on my 09 SG.

very nice i put lowers on my RKC and it cuts down on the cold temps and rain a lot now to see hwo they are in the heat.. in daytona they were fine but was still cool there

Looks good Grill. I didnt realize they are different lowers for a RG, but those are definatly different than on my Ultra.

Thanks everyone. Test ride yesterday (made an excuse to get out for lunch) was nice. It was around town, so only got up to 50 mph. Can tell a difference for sure. Will report back next week, as I plan a long riding weekend. Temps will be in the mid-80s so will be able to see how the heat is. I bought some vents, but will install only if needed (and I might in the hot summer weather).

Looks good Grill. I didnt realize they are different lowers for a RG, but those are definatly different than on my Ultra.

The new 2010 RGs (fairing 1" higher) and if you modify the fairing mounts on pre-2010s, you can use the Ultra style lowers.

Ride safe and have fun.

Very very awesome looking RG, Grill, I hope the vents will help keep it cool in the summer. We wouldn't want to cook our engine now, would we. Sorry about
that, but I have heard that it gets really hot down there (could be jealous eh!!)
Anyway good luck with the heat issue...

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

Hey Grill, that looks "fantastic", as Arnold would say. I put them on my Road King (for medical reasons) and everyone that sees it says it looks good. I think it makes it look buff!

Mine has the built in vents and I get plenty of air when it's hot out. And in the winter I'm nice and warm. As far as burning up the engine? Forget it. I asked the dealer about that as I had them installed when I bought it and he said they've been on the ultras for years and HD wouldn't warrantee it if it was a problem.

Your bike looks great, I think matching the bike's color was a great idea.

Back