free website stats program Road Glide Fairing | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide Fairing

Redfish-Joe

Here are a couple of things I did to improve the appearance of the inner fairing and a few things I did to stop some damage that was occurring inside the outer fairing.

The radio mount had almost rubbed thru the outer fairing. I cut about a 1/4" off at about a 45degree angle and finished with a fine file. That should provide plenty of clearance for the fairing now.

The second thing I found, sorry no pictures, was the "hooks" that hold the fairing on behind the headlight had also rubbed quite a bit so I fashioned a couple of pieces of stainless plumbers tape to go between the "hooks"and the fairing. I hope this will reduce further wear in that area.

The trim I used was just black automotive door edge trim available from most any auto parts house. To me in gives a more finished look to the inner fairing.

Attachments

• damage1.JPG
    damage1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 151
  • mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 147
  • strip.JPG
    strip.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 147
  • old.JPG
    old.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 152
  • finish.JPG
    finish.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 158
Thanks Joe. I haven't got the problem with the radio mount or the hanger hooks, but my original trim looks just like your original. I'll be going to the auto glass shop Monday to look for the trim you used. I think yours has a nice finished look.

Thanks Joe. I haven't got the problem with the radio mount or the hanger hooks, but my original trim looks just like your original. I'll be going to the auto glass shop Monday to look for the trim you used. I think yours has a nice finished look.

Don the trim came from Autozone and is plain black door edge trim. Cost about $4.00 or so.

I bought some of that auto trim for my glide, but sold the glide before putting it on. When I got my softail, I put it around the softail's shield. It looks really nice. Took all of 5 minutes to do, too.

Thanks, Joe for sharing! I need to check my radio mounts and if it's causing the rubbing when I get the fairing off next time. I might upgrade the bulbs in the headlights so will check then.

Have a good one. Ride safe and have fun.

Grillfish, if you upgrade your bulbs don't go too hot. I went with 100/80 and blistered and cracked the lens covers. Someone here used the 80/100 and said that it didn't cause a problem.

Grillfish, if you upgrade your bulbs don't go too hot. I went with 100/80 and blistered and cracked the lens covers. Someone here used the 80/100 and said that it didn't cause a problem.

The Osram 80/100 at German Auto Parts works great...(it says it is for "Off road Use only" ) meaning "aim it properly" and you should be good to go (80W low beam, 100W high beam). And yes do make sure there is good connections to the bulb/socket and wiring. The cooling is via conduction through the metal contacts and convection (the housing should have cutouts for the heat to escape, yet not allow the elements in). :s

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/1702-brighter_headlights.html

Back