free website stats program Road Glide charging issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide charging issues

Just got my first HD about a month ago and love it. An '06 road glide with 8000 miles. PO just put in new battery. It started with the voltmeter showing 13 to 14 volts and now frequently it drops back to 10.5 or 11 and bat. light comes on along with engine light. Then it will go back to 14v and idiot lights go off. It goes back and forth but it is staying at 11v more now with the idiot lights on. I checked and cleaned the battery connections along with the fuses. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!

Check conections at the regulator. Check your stator for proper ac output and grounds. Check the DC output with a VOM meter.

the connections are good. I now have it just charging about 12.3 to 12.5 volts at the battery. Am getting resistance at the three posts at stator and is no grounding out leading me to believe stator is good. All things point to a bad regulator. Any more thoughts? thanks!

the connections are good. I now have it just charging about 12.3 to 12.5 volts at the battery. Am getting resistance at the three posts at stator and is no grounding out leading me to believe stator is good. All things point to a bad regulator. Any more thoughts? thanks!

Replace the regulator and you should be good to go

Both the stator and VR check out ok according to tests. Still acting up. Have checked the connections going into and out of VR. Am about ready to take it to the dealer. From my understanding the VR still could be bad under load and still test out ok. Still just puts out 12.5 v at battery when running.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-48302.html Have you tried this test? 12.5 volts is still under a fully charged battery voltage, you are running on battery only now and not for long, once the voltage drops under 10.5 volts the ignition system will have a hard time keeping you running

the VR check out ok according to tests.

The tests the manual asks you to perform in order to test the VR, only check 6 electrical components within the VR itself. The other 125 components go unchecked. The VR diagnostic are almost useless.

Your bike has a 3 phase system with a Bussman blade fuse, so that's good.
Without going through a bunch of tests with special tools, I agree with Jack and would change the VR. I would also check the AC output of the stator on all 3 phases like the book says.

Back