free website stats program Road Glide 2016 CVO or 2017 Ultra? | Harley Davidson Forums

Road Glide 2016 CVO or 2017 Ultra?

The new 2017 platform should hold better dollar value going ahead, and I think Harley has a winner with the M8 engine. Unless you get a "can't pass it up' deal on the CVO, you would be better off with the '17 . Just my opinion.

What's the difference in price? I like the M8 but have an aversion to buying the first year of anything and HD has made a practice of the first year of a new motor being the beta test year. Look at the early changes to the TC in the first couple of years. The CVO Road Glide is a very nice bike and can be quickly upgraded to 117" with the new drop on cylinders and pistons for a reasonable price.

The purchase would all boil down to purchase price for me.;)

I rode a friend's 17' Ultra, and in my opinion I think the changes made to the new model far outweigh any price difference. A lot of the dealers are stuffed with the 16" and older models, and the prices will be going down even further I think, but I still would not buy one.

I am a tinkerer; have run as many as three different cams over a season, which in south Texas is near year round. Very familiar with the innards of the TC motor and that would be the biggest single reason why I would not buy an M8. My newest bike is an '05 FXSTD and my oldest is an '02 FLHT. Everything on each has been modified to some degree, suspension, brakes, exhaust, motor and transmission. Aside from the new motor and a few new bells and whistles, what is the big attraction to the M8? Both my old bikes will out run it and if something breaks, I can fix it. The '16 CVO Road Glide Ultra is a really nice bike and, as I pointed out previously, can be dealer upgraded to a 117", with a warranty, at a very reasonable cost and IMHO will hold it's value better as far has any Harley holding its value goes. The M8 platform will see some upgrades and modifications in future models that will make the first year M8 less attractive than subsequent model years as the new platform is improved.

Like I said, the purchase would come down to price and value for me. I see the transaction from a different perspective than most and I understand why. Now I have to go finish replacing the five speed trans in my '05 FXSTD with a Baker DD6 before I can replace the 95" top end with a 98" top end, swap TW44G cams for a set of Crane 290-2 cams, replace the BigBoys street ported heads with a set of pro-street ported heads and replace the 43mm T/B with an SE50mm T/B; looking for near 120 numbers from this 98" motor. I am gonna be busy for the next few weekends.;)

Back