free website stats program ROAD GLIDE 2010 Advise please | Harley Davidson Forums

ROAD GLIDE 2010 Advise please

bigdave72

hi guys, just bought a 2010 road glide. I am a newbee to HD and road bikes and need some help. The bike came with the screaming eagle slip on muffler. I am not all that happy with the sound and could also do with some extra performance. The dealership told me of two options, one the standard HD stage 1 and then the other which is $500 extra. not really bothered about the $500, all I want is a great deep sounding bike with the extra power. can you please tell me what to do. do the std stage one and stick with the pipe, do the addtional stage one and stick with the pipe or do something completely different? I have absolutely no clue and really would appreciate your advise. i have seen some pipes, shorter and with two barrels, are these any good or should I stick with the 2 into 1... sorry the request is all over the place but don't want to cock my first attempt at making it my own... thanks

Check the self help tips banner at the top of the page, hundreds of hints,tips, sound clips of different muffles and set ups...

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of all things Harley. There has been much discussion on stage one stage two, exhaust sound and performance here on HDtalking. Go up to the top right of page where it says search forum and type in stage one or motor upgrades. If you can't find an answer there or in the self help tips, someone here will be able to get you started in the right direction.

What I would suggest is to do the stage 1 intake, add some fuel with a TFI (which you'll find plenty of info on in the self help forum) and then see how the sound of the mufflers is after this is done. Generally the sound will bet better after some miles and the addition of the stage 1 with added fuel so that may do it for you.

All this you can do yourself, it's an easy installation. The stage downloads from the dealer will leave you lean.

You may also want to do a good break in too.

Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

Welcome bigdave - congrats on the new scoot. SE pipes are a good product, but you could look into changing the baffle too. Big City Thunder makes a good sounding product (Big City Thunder - Are You Baffled?). Definitely look into getting the TFI tuner - you'll need for enhancing bike performance & future upgrades. Good luck!

short pipes are not a good choice for a Bagger or any bike ! they pop and back fire and ruin your low end torque..
A good 2 into 1 system is the best performance on any Harley Engine! Getting rid of the Cat system 2010 exhaust will let that motor run better and cooler! Remember Loud pipes do not equate into good performance.......Drag bikes run Drag Pipes....but they run all out for a few seconds ....then shut down....you want a system hat gives you good off the line power....and good response in the RPM range you will be in all the time....1500-3500....maybe a bit higher when you pass a car or truck or a bike thats in your way! :) Your exhaust system needs to work with the motor with a little back pressure...They run better period!

I just got done setting up a Friends Candy Red 2010 Road Glide with V&H Dresser Duals, V&H Fuel Pac, and a K&N Airfilter All The parts cost about $1000! He already had about 2000 mlkes on the bike and his 1st trip up the mountains with the New Mods he went about 100 miles pulled over and called me and told me he had a New Bike all over again...No Laptop, no dyno tuning, no Dealer ripping ya off ! If you want a little louder sound go with the Big Shot Duals! Your 02 sensors go right into the new systems so your bike is tunable.....and runs great, cooler and has alot more power!

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and the pointers! I will pop past the dealership over the weekend to sort it out. stage one plus the big city thunder sounds like a plan to me:p

will this still be covered in the 2 year warranty? and if not does it impact the warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all very much for the warm welcome and the pointers! I will pop past the dealership over the weekend to sort it out. stage one plus the big city thunder sounds like a plan to me:p

will this still be covered in the 2 year warranty? and if not does it impact the warranty?

Big Dave, alot of your warranty issues will depend on your dealer. It seems from reading different post that some dealers don't have a problem with mods they install and some do. You will need to talk to your dealer and make sure that things you want done or things you do yourself will not impact the warranty. As you read more on the forum you will notice that the things that are talked about here are for you to learn how to do much of the work yourself or at the very least to help you understand how the work should be done by someone else. HDtalking is a great place to learn all about your bike and to begin to understand some of the things that can happen and how to repair them. The best thing about this forum is that you will not be pressured or talked down to here, there are no dumb questions and everyone wants you to have the bike running the way you want. You will be expected to treat everyone the same. Remember to always check the self help tips and the search to see if a question you have has already been answered. Oh, and always be nice to Glider, there may be meatballs in your future!!!:s

Back