free website stats program RK test ride | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

RK test ride

I was able to take the mother of all test rides today on the RK. A friend of mine has an '08 RK, and we went for a 60 mile ride, he on my sportster, I on his RK. The RK was completely stock except he had it lowered (he's only about 5'7"), and he had the perfect set of pipes on (not too loud, but definitely noticeable). Short answer is, the thing is an absolute pleasure. Didn't even realize I was going 70mph at one point... great throttle response, super smooth, no vibrations through the foot boards. Even the stock seat and handle bars, which I thought would be an issue, didn't prove to be uncomfortable at all. Bumps, railroad crossings, and other road imperfections.... "HA!!!" says the RK... felt like a Cadillac! My friend was weaving around those things on my XL, I was purposely going right over them :)

After 1.5 hours straight in the saddle, I felt fine. It was super windy here in Chicago today, so the highway travel was an adventure, more for my friend who was on my sportster. While the Rk got blown around a bit, it wasn't very difficult to maneuver. So, I THINK my mind is made up. I am really glad I had the chance to ride the bike for a while, both around town and on the highway (which has never felt comfortable to me on the sporty).

And... if the 2009 touring bikes are really that much better than the '08 I just rode, well then... there shouldn't be much to think about.

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
thats great news about the long test ride bet your mate was glad to get it back :D
glad you enjoyed it and from what i keep being told the 09' handle even better

yeah, he said he's too old to be riding a sporty... feel every vibration and bump in the road :)

I didn't realize handle bars were so inexpensive to switch out... so that option doesn't seem like as much of a detractor now. I've read that the RK high bars; RK police bars; touring reach bars; reduced reach RK bars; and Heritage bars are all good options for the stock handle bars.

Given the overwhelming opinion that the RK stock bars are uncomofortable, it's surprising moco doesn't change 'em. Oh, well, as far as mods go, a new set of bars won't break the bank.

regards,
Drew

I'm 5'7" and switched out the stock bars of my FLHR for Heritage Softail Classic bars - the same as on police RKs. Together with a Mustang touring seat I am in heaven. I could ride this bike from Miami to Anchorage and back no worries. RKs are wonderful bikes!

I'm 5'7" and switched out the stock bars of my FLHR for Heritage Softail Classic bars - the same as on police RKs. Together with a Mustang touring seat I am in heaven. I could ride this bike from Miami to Anchorage and back no worries. RKs are wonderful bikes!

Thanks for the info, Merlynn. I guess the Heritage police bars are the way to go. I don't want to change the look of the bike much, but I guess those bars woldn't make a big difference... it's not like they're big ape hangers, or anything. I would maybe even perhaps rotate them down a little bit (toward me), so they're not quite as high, and I get a little more pull-back.

I'll have to figure out a seat. I would probably want a seat that pushes me back a bit. My legs could stand to be a little more extended when my feet are up on the boards. It's lookin' like the RKC for me... I have a long winter to pine over this decision. Some things about the FLSTC I like better, but overall, the RKC sounds like a better all around bike for me.

Drew

Back