free website stats program Riser Bolt Broke | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riser Bolt Broke

The bolt that broke in my riser was a grade 5. I put grade 8 bolts in after i got the broken one out. I hope that does the trick.

this whole episode has mildly freaked me out. Riding yesterday got wondering how on earth a guy would save it if both broke off at the same time. Trying to steer with the tripple trees while activating the clutch might be tuff... Lets all hope this was an isolated incident -

this whole episode has mildly freaked me out. Riding yesterday got wondering how on earth a guy would save it if both broke off at the same time. Trying to steer with the tripple trees while activating the clutch might be tuff... Lets all hope this was an isolated incident -

I had to use my windshield and cables to steer, but that was a long, long time ago.

01dynaglide, Do you have metal bushings or metal sleeves inside the rubber bushings?
Could the metal bushings/sleeves edges be rubbing into bolts causing a weak starter crack? I think I said that right. Could this be happening???
wilks3

01dynaglide, Do you have metal bushings or metal sleeves inside the rubber bushings?
Could the metal bushings/sleeves edges be rubbing into bolts causing a weak starter crack? I think I said that right. Could this be happening???
wilks3

Yes, it has the metal bushing inside. The metal bushing wasn't close to there it broke.

I went on a hard 3 1/2 hour ride last Sunday, July 3, 2011, my girlfriend on the back. Mountain and hot desert ride. I knew I needed gas towards the end of the ride but stretched it out and got the bike home. It sat in the garage for 2 days and then I decided to take it to work (approx 30 miles from home). Checked oil and I was off, I still knew I needed gas, but I usually used a gas station about 5 miles from home and I knew I had my reserve tank to hold me.

I ran it out of gas about 4 1/2 miles after I left home, about 1/2 mile from the gas station and the freeway entrance. As hard as I tried I could not start my bike (reserve tank). I was at a corner. Another biker across the street saw my dilemma and came to help me push my bike around the corner and park it. As we started to push one of the riser bolts snapped. I might as well of had the handle bars in my lap, there was not any control whatsoever of the front wheel.

Only 4 1/2 miles from parking it...after some hard riding.......

1991 Custom Softail........

The decision not to get gas on Sunday, the fact that my reserve tank would not fire up my bike when it has in the past...kept me put..........

Just curious as to how many were not so lucky.....and the investigations for the causes of their misfortune may continue.......

Someone was watching over me those days and death may still be trying to find out where I went.....my girlfriend - I think she was just along for the ride.....

There have only been 2 other times in my life that I have felt "death or?" cross my path. This feels like another one of those times and the closest it has felt...This will be in my mind for quite some time.......

I have felt fear and blessing since last Wednesday morning......

The timing the coincidence was just too close.....

Back