free website stats program Riser Bolt Broke | Harley Davidson Forums

Riser Bolt Broke

01dynaglide

I pulled into the parking lot this morning and went to back my bike in and i felt the left side of my handle bars move and heard something hit the front fender. When i looked down i saw the broken bolt and noticed it came from my risers. I got lucky in many ways, 1 - I was stopped in the parking lot and not riding down the road 2 - when I took the riser off there was enough of the bolt hanging out that i could put the riser in a vice and get it out with having to drill and tap it out. Needless to say I went an bought 2 grade 8 bolts to replace the cheap once that were in. It maybe a good thing to keep in your mind and for sure if you have ape hangers. I have 5" risers with 15" bars and i have never pulled had on mind so I'm kind of at a lose and what made it brake. I guess dumb luck. HAHA.

Attachments

• 0222111054a.jpg
    0222111054a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
That could have got real ugly, glad you were not riding in heavy traffic when that happened, good thing to put on the check list just because:s

normally vibration will work bolts etc. loose or break them off, as i on a 09 triki, had the steering dampner bolts (1 broke off in the head) and the other fell on the hwy. i used a lower grade replacement bolt(so if it happens again i can drill the bolt for a e-z out. also used anti-seize and saftey-wired the bolt heads.

normally vibration will work bolts etc. loose or break them off, as i on a 09 triki, had the steering dampner bolts (1 broke off in the head) and the other fell on the hwy. i used a lower grade replacement bolt(so if it happens again i can drill the bolt for a e-z out. also used anti-seize and saftey-wired the bolt heads.

I too like Antisieze, it fills in the threads and makes removal a lot easier:s

It looks like your bike took "care of you" and broke in a parking lot instead of on the road. The few times over the years that I had a problem it was always in the driveway or the one time I needed towed the driver a fellow biker never charge me. Go figure....

Not too freak you out, but it was probably "broke"for a while. I bet money that if you look at the broken end there is corrosion on part of the break, which would be where it originally started to go

Years ago I was sitting at the bar at the endpoint of a run, and a pickup pulled in with a bike in the back. The bars had broke BOTH bolts (rider had hit a large pothole and bounced), and the guy had to manage his bike out of traffic and onto the curb with essentially no handlebars! Everyone who saw it was amazed that he was able to do it.

Not too freak you out, but it was probably "broke"for a while. I bet money that if you look at the broken end there is corrosion on part of the break, which would be where it originally started to go

i checked it and there is not any corrosion on/around the brake. It very well could have broken awhile back though and just now decided to show its ugly head. I'm glad it happen where it did though instead of falling out going down the road.

ive heard of this happening before and its usually when the risors were changed or removed when changing bars. the stories i heard were either the bolts were not properly torqued with a torque wrench or the bolt backs out. these bolts should have red loctite on them and torqued to spec's if removed. to the op, glad you werent hurt and running down the road.

Back