free website stats program Right signal won't flash | Harley Davidson Forums

Right signal won't flash

Willie

I'm having a problem with my Uncle's '07 1200 Custom. The right front signal has not flashed since it was replaced. I'd sure appreciate some advice on fixing it. The left signal works fine. I've swapped bulbs. I know they're good. I checked for voltage at the signal and its not getting any at the splice near the signal stem. Its getting voltage to the running light wire because that filament works fine.
I thought the almost dead battery was the culprit but figure it shouldn't be if the left signal works fine. I thought I'd check the wires coming off the flasher but can't locate it to test. So, I guess I have 2 questions......what would cause this problem with the right flasher (neither the frnt nor the rear one flashes) and where is the flasher relay?
Thanks alot for any advice and suggestions you can offer me.
Willie

The TSM or TSSM controls your flashers, have you checked the bulb on the rear flasher, I can't rembember if a bulb goes out in back if it keeps the front one from working?

Rear bulb is okay. I swapped them too jus fer the (EDIT). If the TSM or TSSM goes out can it effect just one of the 2 signals? Where's it located and is there a way to test it without anything more than a multimeter?
Willie

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

When you say you swapped bulb's you mean side to side not front to back I'm sure, the TSSM if I remember is on the left side under the battery tray, have you checked for trouble codes? Could be a clue there. Could be open or short in wiring but being a balanced system I would think the other side would not work. The TSSM is like a computerized controller (which means I know nothing about it) with a bank angle sensor build in to it. I would go over wiring good as you can, TSSM's do go out and if you have to replace it you must do password learming for the TSSM to communicate with the ECM. Do you have security? Have you looked in the self help section? Some one ele might has had the same problem and posted there. I do not know of any way to test the TSSM other then to install a known good one. The self help section also has instructions on pulling troble codes and what they mean, welcome to the electronic age and HD Talking.

You're right that I swapped bulbs from side to side. I have not checked the trouble codes although I did look them up in the self help section. My reasoning being that, from what I saw, trouble codes won't tell me if its something relatively simple. I also did several searches hoping that someone had the same problem but found nothing. I agree with your idea that a short or open in the wiring is the most likely culprit.
After finding no voltage at the splice (next to the signal) I hoped to check for volts at the switch, thinking that it would narrow it down. I took the assembly apart and was (edit)to find the connections in the switch are sealed. I couldn't get a probe on any of the terminals.
I had hoped to find some accessible connectors but didn't. In-friggin-credible! I had also hoped to find something as simple as the wiring on my '86 FXRC. No such luck. I'm amazed at how tucked away everything is.
I figured that the problem should be associated with replacing the signal and simple. I consider myself a fairly decent mechanic and competent with electrical troubleshooting. At least I have been in the past. This time though I feel like I'm doing it with a blindfold on. I'm wondering if the TSSM got messed up when he dropped the bike and busted the signal.
As to being welcome in the electronic age and HD talkin........I'd like to say its a pleasure being here but I can't. Personally, I can't justify the advantages of making things complicated when last generation of wiring worked and was easy to troubleshoot. I can onlly imagine how, ah, annoyed I'd be if something like this happened while I was on a long distance tour.
Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
The TSM/HFSM measures the current when the turn signals are used. If there is a burned out light bulb on one side, the remaining light and the corresponding turn signal indicator flash at double the normal rate starting with the fifth flash.
Other diagnostic conditions monitored include:
● Short circuit in the turn signal wiring.
● Open circuit in the turn signal wiring.
● Stuck turn signal switch.
I would still check for trouble codes just for the heck. If you enjoy doing your own wrenching I highly recommend getting the HD service manual and the HD electrical diagnostics manual for your bike, there's too many magic box's on these bikes now, I have a 04 car and still don't know where the dip stick is, I just take it to the dealer for everything and that's what Harley wants you to do, it's money in there pocket. If you can't find fault with the wiring I would replace the ECM, it's cheaper then a hr. at the dealership. I would inspect the wires where the turn was broke off real good too. good luck

Thanks for the info, insight and trouble codes. I just printed them out and will use it tomorrow if the temps are warm enough to allow feeling in my fingers. I'll let you know what I find.
I can relate to your comment about having an '04 car. I have an '00 Silverado and the oil pressure gauge is(edit) up. Turns out it was a common problem due to a faulty printed circuit in the gauge cluster. I've learned to live with it rather than hassle replacing it. An argument can be made that we're the slave and not the master to today's technology.
Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back