free website stats program Right Handlebar shakes, intermittently | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Right Handlebar shakes, intermittently

I have a 09 ultra been doing that from day one i had the front off to change my speakers and checked all mounting brackets and handle bar fasteners all tight nature of the beast i guess
Agreed...I would check the fairing brackets and re torque the handle bar clamps...One thing you can not do is compare what yours does to someone else bike..year for year make for make no two are the same..I learned this a long time ago !

FLHTrider08; you can easily pull the fairing & check brackets...10-min job (3-w/s screws, 4-inner fairing screws & headlight disconnect). Just cover the front fender w/thick towel & slip socks over driving lights to protect from damage. This would rule out one option & you could see if bars are off center, or loose. Hope you find the culprit...

Last edited:
I had it into the dealer checking on other things (and once previously for this) and mentioned the issue again and how there should be an improved bracket available to fix the issue. They didn't pull the fairing apart and just said it was due to cupping on my front tire. I told them it only seems to happen when stopped and is idling so the tire condition shouldn't matter. Its done it since the first year I bought it. It is a bit cupped and had 3/32" left, but I'm not going to replace it until the start of next season. There's only about a month left for me to ride this year. This dealer is losing brownie points, may be time to go to a new one.

Check on the cupping, there was a replacement due to the cupping done. It sounds like you have a great dealer there suggesting cupping when the bike was first started and the stand is still down.

Do a search on tire cupping on the forum and you will come up with some good returns.

I had it into the dealer checking on other things (and once previously for this) and mentioned the issue again and how there should be an improved bracket available to fix the issue. They didn't pull the fairing apart and just said it was due to cupping on my front tire. I told them it only seems to happen when stopped and is idling so the tire condition shouldn't matter. Its done it since the first year I bought it. It is a bit cupped and had 3/32" left, but I'm not going to replace it until the start of next season. There's only about a month left for me to ride this year. This dealer is losing brownie points, may be time to go to a new one.

Maybe you should type out your thought on paper and hand it to the service department. The reason being they seem to be hard of hearing....:newsmile058:
My question would be how can a cupped tire cause a vibration at stops.....:eam

It's hard to explain the idea in a few paragraphs in a forum. How 'bad' is bad?

Tell you why. I noticed the same thing on my '04 Dyna. Sometimes I sit at a stoplight and the mirrors rattle so bad I cannot make out the make and model of the car behind me. Other days it's not problem.

Perhaps unlike you, my bike has been serviced numerous times by the same mechanic, and he has ridden the bike after each visit. The engine has been apart for upgrades. I just *assumed* it was a Harley quirk.

But take heart. We are not alone. If you talk to an old-timer and tell him your bike shakes once in a while he'll answer, "So does mine. At night while I sleep the motor doesn't shake at all. But when I start it up in the morning..."

Seriously, check out the bike for safety concerns, but I've noticed the same issue.

I recently had my stereo replaced under warranty and asked them to check to see if the fairing brackets were broken as was suggested here. They said the weren't so I guess I'll have to live with it.

I recently had my stereo replaced under warranty and asked them to check to see if the fairing brackets were broken as was suggested here. They said the weren't so I guess I'll have to live with it.

Did they tell you the stereo went bad because of the tire cupping?:D

I'm amazed at the shaking parts on the bikes with the "A" engine when our group stops at lights.
Dancing mirrors/handlebars, saddlebags, windshield, fenders, the whole engine back through the mufflers and the most rattle looking item is the horn.

The strange thing to me is no one riding the vibrator seems to notice or care.
So I'd guess it's normal.

My softail "B" engine only seems to make my ruber mounted headlight dance a little.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Once you get moving it is a non issue compared to the benefits riding Glides or Kings. Remember "Someday you will own a bagger"

Back