free website stats program Right Handlebar shakes, intermittently | Harley Davidson Forums

Right Handlebar shakes, intermittently

FLHXSrider

Contributor
I'm hoping someone has some ideas on this. I have an 08 Electra Glide Standard. It has a Stage 1 and Vance and Hines FL Slash Cut slip-ons. Intermittently when I start it up, the right side handlebar will shake quite a bit more than the left one (which seems to shake as much I would would expect it to, not much at all). I don't have anything fancy bolted on to either side of the handlebars like cupholders, gps, etc. After riding for a while, when I stop at a light, it usually has stopped. If I start it up and see it shake, shut it off and then start it again, the shake will still be there. I spoke with the dealer about it but they advised it wouldn't be something that is covered by my extended warranty as it was considered to be a loose fastener and therefore not covered. I was quoted 2.5 hours to "fix" it s they said they would have to take the fairing apart to tighten whatever it is. I'm not overly handy other than oil changes :small3d029: so I don't really want to try it myself if I can help it. Is what the dealer saying seem reasonable? Is there another possible problem/fix it could be? Thanks.

More and likely you have a broken bracket inside your fairing. I have the same bike and 1st right side then 900 miles and 1 month later left side. It is a easy repair. If doing yorself: Search Results - Harley Davidson Community You "NEED to find another dealer. They are a covered item on Harleys extended warrty or call MOCO customer service.

Thanks dbmg. I am looking into another dealer due to other problems I've had with them. Would it still be a bracket though if the problem is intermittent?

I have a 09 ultra been doing that from day one i had the front off to change my speakers and checked all mounting brackets and handle bar fasteners all tight nature of the beast i guess

I'm assuming it's not a wide spread problem as not a lot of people are complaining about it. My Dad's 06 Ultra doesn't do it.
WAP.gif

I have the same thing on my 07 classic. It just started this summer but not to the point that I am overly worried. I plan on taking it apart this fall as I am going to change out the bars.

If the fairing brackets turn out not to be the problem, I have a wild guess you can think about. The handle bars seem to have a resonant frequency and with the engine at a certain rpm, the bars vibrate noticeably more. Loosen the handle bar clamps and move the bar to the left 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch, re-tighten everything and see if that changes the frequency and size of the handle bar vibrations. Perhaps the bar isn't exactly centered now and centering it might change things.

Interesting. But if they are off-center, wouldn't it be a constant problem not intermittent?
WAP.gif

I would bet more so that a fairing bracket has broken. Dependent of idle vibration, the broken bracket can make you second guess. The removal of fairing is quite straight forward. Another way to check is to stand towards fairing on left and then right side. Grasp fairing at at inner behind bar grip and with other hand grip bar and try to move fairing away from bar. You do not need alot of pull and you will find fairing can be pulled away from bar. The right side will be looser than left side. Just be sure when shop changes it out that they use latest part number for bracket has been updated. Try to convince dealer to change both, though you may have to wait till other breaks.

I would bet more so that a fairing bracket has broken. Dependent of idle vibration, the broken bracket can make you second guess. The removal of fairing is quite straight forward. Another way to check is to stand towards fairing on left and then right side. Grasp fairing at at inner behind bar grip and with other hand grip bar and try to move fairing away from bar. You do not need alot of pull and you will find fairing can be pulled away from bar. The right side will be looser than left side. Just be sure when shop changes it out that they use latest part number for bracket has been updated. Try to convince dealer to change both, though you may have to wait till other breaks.
Thanks dbmg. I'll definitely have to try that. So you said it should be covered by my Extended warranty? There wasn't a recall on it I assume. I'll have to call the MOCO before going back to my dealer or another one to make sure I don't run into any hassles with them.

Back