free website stats program Right Hand Turns From a Stop... | Harley Davidson Forums

Right Hand Turns From a Stop...

Drew

Do you have your front wheel pointed to the right from the stopped position, before beginning the turn, or do you begin with it pointing straight, and then turn it as your bike begins to move forward?

Drew

I ride a wide glide and the forks tend to want to flop to the side if they are turned very much from center. I always keep them straight then start the turn after I'm rolling. Now I tend to have the bike pointed somewhat to the right.

Always stop with your front wheel pointing straight ahead along with your head/chin/eyes - otherwise you're inviting a drop. Main thing when starting out and turning right is to aggressively turn your head/chin/eyes to the right and that's where the bike will go. You don't really have to overthink things and concentrate on what you're doing with the actual front wheel this way.

I second what Dr. Doolittle said. The times I have problems are the times I don't keep it straight and try to look for cars before I've stopped. Luckily I haven't dropped my bike yet. I've found it easier to make a complete stop before looking left to see if any traffic is coming.

Last edited:
Back