Right Hand Turns From a Stop...

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Drew, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Drew

Drew Active Member

Do you have your front wheel pointed to the right from the stopped position, before beginning the turn, or do you begin with it pointing straight, and then turn it as your bike begins to move forward?

Drew

2. SeaRider04

SeaRider04 Active Member

I keep mine in straight line at stop then turning after rolling out.

3. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

What SeaRider said

4. 01dynaglide

01dynaglide Junior Member

Same for me. I don't turn the wheel until i'm rollen.

5. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I ride a wide glide and the forks tend to want to flop to the side if they are turned very much from center. I always keep them straight then start the turn after I'm rolling. Now I tend to have the bike pointed somewhat to the right.

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Always stop with your front wheel pointing straight ahead along with your head/chin/eyes - otherwise you're inviting a drop. Main thing when starting out and turning right is to aggressively turn your head/chin/eyes to the right and that's where the bike will go. You don't really have to overthink things and concentrate on what you're doing with the actual front wheel this way.

7. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

Keep my wheels straight, but when possible I do try to stop with bike angled into the turn.

8. cuznjed

cuznjed Junior Member

Im with davidw2415!

9. toad451

toad451 Member

I second what Dr. Doolittle said. The times I have problems are the times I don't keep it straight and try to look for cars before I've stopped. Luckily I haven't dropped my bike yet. I've found it easier to make a complete stop before looking left to see if any traffic is coming.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. Vibratinharley

Vibratinharley Junior Member

Ditto