free website stats program Riding With A Passenger | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding With A Passenger

I ride mainly solo, but occasionally ride two-up with the wife. I maintain 42 P.S.I. in my rear tire for when she rides with me.

Do you guys maintain the higher tire pressure even if your riding is only occasionally two-up?

Pretty much maintain pressures for 2up since that's the way we usually ride, check before every ride.

Don't forget to adjust your rear shocks for the added weight too. Tire pressure is one factor, but if the shocks are wrong you can make the ride very non-enjoyable.

my glide is set for 2 up riding all the time
remember be smooth will accel and braking nothing worse than your passenger looking at the scenery and you making heavy braking action and them slaming you in the back of the head and knocking you out, not really an issue if you wear helmets as they take the impact, my pillion (wife) has a tendancy to fall asleep on the back and if i take evasive action she will head butt my helmet which wakes her up LOL

A very good reason for wearing a full face helmet when on pillion ive had the back of my helmet knocked many times by an inatentive pillion passenger

Brian

Seems like the bike handles better with 2 up PSI, less mushy feel:s

my glide is set for 2 up riding all the time
remember be smooth will accel and braking nothing worse than your passenger looking at the scenery and you making heavy braking action and them slaming you in the back of the head and knocking you out, not really an issue if you wear helmets as they take the impact, my pillion (wife) has a tendancy to fall asleep on the back and if i take evasive action she will head butt my helmet which wakes her up LOL

haha....funny Hobbit - nothing like a head-butt from your passenger when riding a scoot....BTDT...lol

Lots of good ideas here, but I've always preferred to ride single. The Wife didn't like riding behind, because all she could see was my helmet, so we bought her a bike to ride. She much happier now, and we all know, that if Momma happy, everybodys happy.

I add to the passenger briefing that should I lose footing and the
bike start to go down .. they shouldn't try to put their foot down
and hold it up. They should pull their foot up and in as much as possible.
Trying to hold it up will just end up with a broken leg.

Also .. my preference is to have them mount from the high side
while the bike is on the stand .. then raise it up. Before I started
that I'd have some who'd get on leaning out and darn near pull the
bike over.

RT

I no longer ride 2 up. I'll run the risk of being injured or killed on my bike, myself, but I'll not compound that and run that risk for a passenger too. This past Saturday on a 4 lane, 60 mph, a pickup just ahead lost the load of large trash bags in his bed causing traffic to slide to a dead stop. I braked really hard and was able to fishtail to the shoulder without rear ending anyone and not being creamed from behind. I remember thinking while in panic mode; OK, looks like I'm going to make it, but I'm sure glad no one is on back. If she wants to ride she can get her own bike and I'll more than welcome her company on the road.

Back