free website stats program Riding speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding speed

Doc I'm not the least bit afraid of running higher RPM. As I stated I don't think any harm is being done at the speed and RPM they are running. I just prefer to run mine in forth gear at those speeds.

Doc I'm not the least bit afraid of running higher RPM. As I stated I don't think any harm is being done at the speed and RPM they are running. I just prefer to run mine in forth gear at those speeds.

I totally understand what you and whacko are saying. But I'm trying to give the OP a different opinion and some perspective. If I didn't speak up, then he's going to read this thread and feel like he's doing something wrong by running constantly at 2700 RPM. If most riders like to kick it into 4th at the speeds he's talking about, that's certainly their choice. But I don't want him to feel like he HAS to do it too.

I know I'm in the minority on this and that's OK. I just laugh when I hear Harley riders getting into 4th and 5th gear as quick as they can on a road with a 40MPH limit - I just think they like the rumble better at those RPM's - it has nothing to do with harming the engine or motor responsiveness.

If when out riding at least once I would suggest stretching your bikes legs. It does nothing more than make them run better and stronger. Kinda cleans them out. The best is winding them up when riding on the curvy country roads...
The difference as to what rpm to shift at are whether or not you are on a putt or a spirited ride... Its the matching rpm with gear selection so that if needed you have the power to negotiate a dangerous situation. Neither will hurt the engine for you are not even near red line.

... .. ... .. .. I think too many HD riders cringe when the RPM's get above 2500 so they lumber around in the 2000-2500 range all the time. Guess it makes your pipes sound more "Harleyish" at the lower RPM's. Higher RPM's and you run the risk of starting to sound like a sport bike.
... .. .. .... .....

I'm guilty, that's exactly what I do and you guessed it that's exactly why I do it. Actually I don't cringe, but I rode high reving Hondas before and that's what I love about my HD is I can deliver all the power I need from 2 grand to 3 grand. And busted again I love that Harley low torque sound, up to to 60 mph without ever reving above 3 grand. I mostly ride by the tach, and if I an shift to the next gear and still be at 2 grand I love it. I'm just a wacked out new Harley owner that has wanted to do that my whole life.

I totally understand what you and whacko are saying. But I'm trying to give the OP a different opinion and some perspective. ..... ... ... .... ... ...
I know I'm in the minority on this and that's OK. I just laugh when I hear Harley riders getting into 4th and 5th gear as quick as they can on a road with a 40MPH limit - I just think they like the rumble better at those RPM's - it has nothing to do with harming the engine or motor responsiveness.

Yep, you've got me pegged to a Tee. If you heard start up at the traffic light and listened to me ride by, you would be laughing. And I would laugh with you loving it all the way. Totally understand your post, actually enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say you are in the minority more like 50-50 from what I see (and hear) locally. Everyone is not a torque addict like me. Comes from a lifetime of being a deprived wanna be Harley owner. Raised the kids, paid off the house and everything else (except taxes, insurance etc) and now I'm torquing down the road living out my childhood dream. Bahahaha.

... .. .... ... .. Most of our (wife and I seperate bikes) rides are usually 45-60 miles (country roads with posted limits) with speeds of approx. 45 mph- 3rd gear at 2700 RPM.
.. .. ..... ... . .. ... We are newbe's so any comments will be appreciated. Love our bikes. Titu

Well you got your answers. I envy you, we don't have that many roads where I live where we can do that. I love riding the same speeds as you especially since my windshield has not been delivered yet. If you have a tach, then as long as you are cruising between 2000 and 3500 rpms (or even more on acceleration) then you aren't doing any harm. But the lower rpms will always give you better mileage. If you get under 2000 then you run the risk of lugging which IS hard on the engine.

Varying speeds and changing gears is a good thing. Ride with in the safety and posted speeds. You know your bike and will get the feel for the shifts by watching your tach and listening to the engine, Happy riding:s

It's a rare ride (must be in town) that my Dyna or Electra don't see 4,500 rpm, and they both see the rev limiter with some regularity.
I recently set my programmable rev limiter DOWN to 6,000 on the Dyna. It's 19 yrs. old and deserves a little respect.:D Some will think I abuse my engines, but I NEVER, EVER let the rpm's drop below 2,000 above 3rd gear. That and Free Revving the motor is my definition of abuse :(
Gotta admit, no matter how we treat them, or what we feed them, our HD's almost always perform long and reliable.

Thank you one and all for your comments. It would be an honor and privilege for my wife and I to ride with any one of you.

Best always,

Titu:small3d028:

Back