free website stats program Riding one handed | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding one handed

Animal

I've been riding for a very long time and one habbit I can't break is riding with one hand, either with the cruise control on and left handed or right handed using the throttle. Just wondering how many other rider's find themself's riding one handed?

i do on long trips so i can flex my hands if they are getting tired bad habit but well

I Second the one hand death grip:x:x

On long trip's you gotta get the blood flowing back in those fingers:small3d018:

Besides how are we suppose to wave at the :bigsmiley13:

:newsmile106:

I rode one handed more on my V-Star than I do now on my RK. I'm not sure why that it. I do let go once in a while if my fingers are tingly though.

I seem to do it a lot of the time. I have throttle rockers on all my Harleys and tend to have both hands off the grips. I just have contact with the throttle rocker, holding the end of it to adjust the throttle.

It's a silly habit, and I should have at least one hand on a grip. But it's interesting to see people's faces when they think you are riding with "no hands".....

Last edited:
I must admit I do it a lot more than I should. Long trips you have too but I do it around town as well.

Occasionally I'll take one hand off just to change position and give the muscles a break. However, I don't ride one handed just for the heck of it. You already said the magic word - "habit." If you know it's a bad habit and you really want to stop, you can do it. Just have to work at it and change your habit patterns.

I'll shift hands, or drop one hand for a minute or two to get the circulation going, but I've never been comfortable riding one handed. It puts my shoulders and upper body in a "stress" position, and I feel unbalanced. Some friends do it a lot but I don't know why they don't get neck and shoulder aches like I do.

On long journeys, it's almost necessary to take your hand of occasionally to get the blood circulating and avoid discomfort.
In urban environment and with the streets being as they are, I think it's a no no.

Back