free website stats program Riding Old Machines | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Old Machines

I have always wanted the opportunity to ride the old Harleys...such as the panheads, or even shovelheads, but it has now come to fruition. Just for the mere experience of it, I still hope to someday. Since I got back into riding in 1996 I have bought 4 new machines, all touring models.

I have heard some folk say that if a person had ridden the Harleys before the invention of the Evolution engine, well they would have a much better appreciation of the machines of today. I suppose because, they would be able to compare it to the issues and ride of the former machines.

I assume some more experienced folk on the forum can relate to the premis of my second paragraph. Please respond.
I have owned Pans,Shovels, Evo's and Twin Cams. After riding a 2002 Dyna for the last 5 years, and put all the hot rod parts into it until I got it to where I believe that no more power could be obtained without spending insane money, I sold it, and am building a 96" Shovel! My thoughts are that most of my riding is blasting between bars, or poker run stops,and the Shovels I had in the past were more fun to ride. They have a unique sound that the newer motors don't have, and although you have to bring tools with you when you go out, isn't that what makes the difference between someone that is into the motorcycles, instead of someone that owns a bike? Besides, the females like the vibrations from the older Harleys better.

Back