free website stats program Riding Lane Position | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Lane Position

No offense but my thought is that those riders need some education. When riding in a group the lead rider normally takes the left side of the lane, the next rider takes the right, and so on. This is safer for a number of reasons. The group can close up and shorten the distance between riders which helps prevent cage drivers from trying to cut in. The staggered formation also gives each rider more response time and distance to stop or evade if something unexpected happens to a rider ahead.

When riding alone I was taught to "dominate" my lane. What this means is to position myself so as to be as visible as possible and at the same time discourage cage drivers from thinking they can come over and crowd me. If I'm riding in the right lane I'll be on the left side. If I'm in the left lane I'll ride on the right half. That last one has an additional benefit in that if some oncoming driver crosses the centerline I'll have just a smidge more reaction time. If the highway has three or more lanes and you are in one of the middle ones just take your pick depending on the traffic situation.

Finally, I can only repeat what others have said about riding in the center of the lane. Bad idea. Oil and crud from cages collects there not to mention debris that can damage your tires.

John

you said you were with 7 other riders? Riding a "pack" no one belongs in the center unless they are avoiding an obsticle.
there are three lanes in a single car lane. 1. the lane divider or centerline, 2. center, and 3. fog line.

first bike rides divider
one second back second bike rides fog
2 seconds back of bike 1 3 bike rides divider
2 seconds back of bike 2 4 bike rides fog
and on and on for however many are riding

You do not leave your lane except in emergency conditions for an unavoidable obstruction. Moving into anothers lane takes away his margin of safety. the center lane is a neutral zone for avoiding larger potholes and things like rocks and sticks..

When your by yourself you can ride where ya want the outside or centerline is generally safer due to increased visability and in the city people moving in and out of their cars on the right.

Depends on the road. Multi lanes, i.e. Interstate I'll ride left of center in the left lane, gives me more road to work with when the idiot in the middle wants to move over. Two lane road, normally right of center. If I'm in a position such as where a right merge lane is coming in I'll ride right of center to ensure cars merging can see me better.

I rarely ride dead center, especially at a stop, I barely reach the ground (5'10"/Ultra Classic), if I'm on center both sides of the road slope down and away, if I'm in the 'troough' of a tire track both sides slope up, gives me some extra ground for the toes to catch.

Riding position within a lane or lanes is a question of "Separating Hazards" or in the dynamic sense allowing them to separate...on a two lane road, when approaching a turn, I move away from the apex in case on coming traffic happens to cross the line into my lane. :s

On multiple lanes going in the same direction, I shift to the left or right of the lane I am in to allow adjacent cars room in the event they come over into my lane if they do not see me (I look in "their rear view mirror" to see if they are looking to come over, and try to get past them so I am not in their blind spot. :52:

If this sounds complicated, it is because my version of "traffic jamming" means constantly watching out for the other guy and make provisions for an "out", in case they do something anticipated, but not unexpected. The worst is someone signalling to make a lane change left and actually does a "U" turn in front of you...! :small3d015:

When riding staggared be sure you can see the face of the rider in front of you in his mirror. If you are on the right side be sure you see the rider to the front/left of you in his mirror. This way if something happens all he has to do is look in his mirror to see where you are. I mostly ride with a group and I hate it when I have to keep looking to the right or left to see where that rider is. In a group your main responabilty is the rider in front of you not looking around or site seeing. Things can go bad fast and every second matters. And I try to ride to the right of the lane if I can. No reason other than I feel safer there.

I ride right of center on two lane roads because I feel more confortable in this position. I've seen too many cagers crowd and cross the divider line to do too much traveling left of center. I would never travel center because of oily conditions there. On four lanes I travel right of center because of the room it gives you in case an animal or obstruction in your riding area.

Here in the UK I ride right of center. (would be left in other countries) More room to manoeuvre I find. Center of the lane has the oil and more important the debries left by cars and on some road it's where the cracks are when it's been used by heavy lorries for a longer time. It also, I find, gives the cager less chance to cut me off should they feel a need to do so.

Last edited:
The issue of group riding position(s) has been well addressed in this thread. One of the first things I suggest to new riders is to avoid riding in the center of the lane, to avoid debris (blocks of wood, rocks, etc which can come up fast when riding in traffic) and fluids from cars and trucks, etc which are amplified when wet. Regardless of which side of the lane you choose, always have an "Escape Plan" which may mean that you adjust your riding position from one side to the other so you can use your escape plan effectively.

Never ride in the cage driver's blind spot...

Back