free website stats program Riding Lane Position | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Lane Position

Hey Everone,

I was behind a group of about 7 riders in North Georgia and noticed most of the group rode dead center in their lane. I usually choose a side and switch when large rigs are passing me, my question do you ride in the center of the lane or on the side. I would think the debris that causes flats would be in the center of the lane, just wondering your thoughts. thanks.

During the day I will ride in the center of the lane. I feel that I can be seen better. At night I will ride close to the center of the road. That way I can see both sides of the road in case a deer or other animal jumps out. I feel I have a better chance of seeing them that way.

and when it rains the center for the lane will be slickest from oil from cars

I ride at the side of my lane. At the beginning of a rainstorm that centre section is trecherous and after prolonged periods without rain the centre section of the lane has a visible build up of oil. Amazing how much modern vehicles still leak!

i ride left of center at all times for 2 reasons,avoid all the oil that is in the center,if anything happens and i'm riding left of center i got more asphalt to work with

same...left of center. sometimes right side if on a straight during the day with a group. i avoid center due to oil and un-flattened road kill. :D

Lane position depends on traffic situation.. 2 lane oncoming traffic puts me to the right. No traffic, to the left. Multi lane is more complicated but the point is you can use the whole lane to be seen, to avoid traffic or whatever is happening. Aint no best for all occasions.

I ride the left side of the lane...at night because like said above i can see more and during the day im not really sure but i do

I ride left side of center on 2 lane highways; right side of center in the passing lane on multi lane highways to minimize the blind spot of drivers in the right side lane. On 3 lanes each way, I avoid the middle lane as much as possible, and use it only when traffic is very light. The middle of 3 lanes has the largest blind spot for either the LHS or RHS lane. I find most folks look in the mirror, and only see you if you avoid those blind spots.

The large painted turning arrows might as well be straight oil in the rain. I guess they are oil base paint.

Left center of the lane. Might cheat towards the center or hit the right cener on two lane roads at a curving hilltop. As mentioned before, the center of the lane is not the place to be, especially if it starts to rain. Lots of oil dropped in that area.

Back