free website stats program Riding in your town | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in your town

As tempting as it is I resist tangling with cagers off the light. Here in NJ, there is an extra penalty for "drag racing" that makes your insurance company wonder why they are insuring you at all. Sometimes, people can be provocative. I try to rember to "Ride My Ride", that is, don't let anyone egg you into doing something you normally wouldn't, or, shouldn't do...

I know what you mean. It does seem like everyone thinks that your ready to race. Guess because we can take off so fast if we choose. Amazing how easy you can leave them setting.

I don't normally give those people a second though. If I had to be the fastest thing out there I'd be riding a sport bike.

I can't remember the last time I raced a car from a light on the bike, probably been 35 years or more. I live in a surburban area and ride mostly at the speed limit or a little below it. I may go through the first 2-3 gears on the Ultra and shift around 4500-5K but never when another vehicle is around. I feel the same way when I drive my vette. I may shift it through the first couple of gears at close to redline but never race another car. Maybe it's my age, but I enjoy just knowing I can take a cage off the line on the bike and most cars with the vette and that's all the satisfaction I need.

Here in NJ, there is an extra penalty for "drag racing" that makes your insurance company wonder why they are insuring you at all.

They can get you for that in Calif. too. In LA County, you can have your bike "confiscated", and if you're lucky, you get to bail it out of the tow yard. It depends on the city in which you're cited. But the "racing" enhancement can be bad news.

JMHO, but I think some cars try to get ahead of us because they're not comfortable riding next to, or behind, a bike. Any bike. Whether it's just the noise, or not knowing what a bike will do, I don't know. But I do get that from time to time.

But as someone already posted, if there's a problem, the bike will always lose.

I am a mix of Bowhiker and gunnut, just depends on my mood and the setting.

But yes given the right setting I am not afraid to smoke em! :lero

Wow, HD4ME, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth, but I need to add:

In Phoenix, my current 'home' town, there is more than the usual number of red light runners. This past spring, I saw a pretty severe red light runner caused accident between 3 cages - with at least 2 fatalities (I was in my truck and not involved other than rendering minimal aid). From then on, most of the time, I have been much more careful. I don't want to be the first to enter the intersection. Even when there is not a light or even stop sign, I adjust my speed (but rarely slowing down a lot) just to have a cage along side me, preferable on the right. My thinking is: they can be seen (definately not heard :lol) easier and they make a much better buffer if someone does opt to occupy my space in the intersection.

On the hwy though, I prefer to be in the far left lane (fast lane) hence, I need to be one of the faster moving - but usually not more than 10 mph over the posted limit. Which can be a challenge since the I101 sometimes also stands for the speed limit :52:

Careful out there - even if the bike rider is right, they always come in second in a duel with a cage!

CatWoman :rider

I once engaged a camaro and we were running light to light.Then we came up on a large intersection and the camaro did not see johnny law in the turn lane .I reved the motor and he pulled a hole shot. the cop simply changed lanes and pulled the guy over. I rode by laughing!!!

I like a buffer zone especially if I see a cell phone hanging from their ear. Sometimes it's safer to speed up to get it, sometimes (and more often) it's better to ease back.

I just wanted to add a couple of things . I have never launched off the line from a dead stop and by this i mean dumping the clutch as if a drag racer would do . First i'm afraid to do it lol , second tires , and belts for these are too expensive . I take off normally like from any other complete stop then i crack the throttle and only up to the speed limit then shift and let off . I think i made it sound like i'm burning rubber from the green lite but that's not the case . I'm too tight to burn rubber on my bike , tickets , tires , belts , and clutches are too expensive and like i said i'm too scotch to abuse my bike . Oh 1 more thing my youngest daughter will switch lanes when behind a bike because she doesn't like to follow them either so maybe that's why cars are always trying to go around bikes rather then staying behind them .

I'm amazed that after a Stage One and new pipes, the good old Harley Sound moves the cages out of my way. I'm surprised how many times (more often than not) the cager in front of me doing 35 in a 35, will move over and let me blow by him at 40 or so. I don't speed, but with more sound, the cagers usually leave me room. I don't jump the gun at a light, nor do I try and show off, getting to old for that. But I do drop it 2nd and rotate the troddle and listen to that sound as I fly by the cager on his cell.

Back