free website stats program Riding in the Rain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the Rain

I rode about 250 miles this last weekend with the vast majority of it being in pouring rain. Like someone else said, I didn't buy it to sit in the garage.

That being said, when I do ride in the rain it is a planned ride, which this last weekend was. Then, since I was already out (and completely dry by the way) I rode on my own even more.

But I washed the bike the next day and probably won't ride it unless its nice out. No planned rides coming up for me.

Thanks Smitty - I must buy some of that S100 anti corrosion product.

I try to avoid riding in the rain if I can - that is, if I look out the window in the morning at a downpour - I'll leave it in the garage and take the cage. I have a choice, I'll take the car IF I have to but I'll take the bike COZ I want to.

Riding to work and especially the long road home is the way to start and end the working day with a smile. And riding on the weekend's even better. I think a lot of the posts are right on this one - if you're going to treat the bike like it's a dissolvable statue, might as well not have it.

I keep a rainsuit in the bags, but avoid riding in the rain. Of course, I also avoid fishing, hunting, etc., in the rain.....

I ride in rain too... I don't just for a short ride on weekends but if we are going to weekend trips it doesn't matter to me! :)

No matter what is said, garage dust is the most destructive item that can get on a bike. Ride it and get it dirty. It's the right thing to do. Mine has a leather tour pak, black paint etc.. and really shows the dirt, but it looks good with "wet" all over it. When I die in a few years, my son will know that I rode it and not just looked at it. I expect the same from him. So, ride the bike and enjoy it before "something" take it away from you. Life is short!
Ugly John

Here on the central coast of California we don't get much rain. We are currently in the middle of another drought. If it does rain, then I usually stay off the bike and celebrate.

I do keep a rain suit (Frog Togs) in my saddlebags just in case. They came in real handy two years ago when I got caught in a rain storm just north of Santa Cruz on the Pacific Coast Highway Needless to say, riding in the rain in the dark on a winding two lane road, with no turnoffs, with tailgating cagers, and with the wind so strong that it is blowing water on you from the ocean is very intense. I try to avoid repeating that experience.

Rain is the great "test" for checking out if you are ready for adverse condition riding. Much as I hate to say it, if you get caught in the rain, consider it a learning experience, a sanity/preparedness check if you will. Pack a very compact waterproof rainsuit (if there is such a thing), Frog Togs is good, I use Tour Master with Totes boot cover and learn to ride easy with no sudden movements. Good time to check out that your lighting, backup tool kit, plug & inflate tubeless tire kit and emergency kit is up to snuff. Make sure your rider skills are in tune and learn to squeeze brake handles and press footbrake easy but firmly...no herky jerky stuff and you will actually feel better knowing you are prepared for the next rain.

I Michigan you can start off & it is nice & sunny & in the afternoon or evening you can them POP UP Thunderstorms . Sometime you have no choice , I am glad HD designs the bikes knowing the bike will get wet that is why alot of the stuff is marine grade . When I am in Las Vegas for the winter you can put your foot down when you stop & it will slide because the oil does not get washed off the road often ,so you have to be careful in places that dont get alot of rain too & it is real bad when it does rain in Vegas .

Here in GA the weathermen have no idea how to predict the weather, I never knew 20% chance so often turned into 100% chance >_<, so if it happens I ride if its nice out side I ride, my cage is broken so my bike is all I got

I never plan on riding in the rain
but i do wear a full face helmet and waterproof jacket in case it does
also always have waterproof trouser handy and keep the fags in the waterproof pocket and often the precautions pay off well if you were riding last summer it was raining
as to winter roads
in October 1980 i bought a moto guzzi lemans brand new going home for Xmas leave i was down on the ice broke the plug cap and plug on left side so had to single cylinder for a good bit to get parts to fix on the way back after Xmas leave hut a snow drift while coming out of a bend at 60 mph drift right across the road right side plug and cap gone (but was carrying a spare)
went to Belize from April to October fork stanchions were pitied and i had to replace them
Bought a second hand Honda xl 250 (trail bike ) for use on winter roads
had fork gaiters drum brakes and was designed for hitting the ground and getting up again
older and wiser i use the car (have to in my line of work) bikes are now only for pleasure

Brian

Back