free website stats program Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the left or right of 'your' lane

Used to be an MSF instructor.

Left of center.

I take full and complete ownership of my space.

If i see a need to move over, I do, but I return ASAP.

Reason it was always taught to ride to the left side was when you ride to the right cars will pass you in your lane.
Smitty, that is exactly what I have always heard and the reason I ride left of center. Certainly dont want to "share" my lane with a car/truck.

Bill

. Lately, many of the roads here in CT have been paved in three sections..They pave the middle of the entire road ( half one lane...half the other lane..then finish up the remaining sections. I understand it keeps traffic moving while they pave BUT, I am constantly avoiding that crack/split as it is right where I tend to ride..

I've often heard that CT has very high taxes, now I know part of why. Making 3 passes to pave a road instead of 2. Plus putting the seam in the tread track for better water/ice penetration doesn't seem to be optimal.
Not insulting your state alto, just thinking' with my fingers.:small3d023:

Smitty, that is exactly what I have always heard and the reason I ride left of center. Certainly dont want to "share" my lane with a car/truck.

Bill

I'm with smitty and Billbo. moved over to get a look around a schoolbus and this phone talking crazy girl just moved into the space where I was, almost forcing me off the road.

My rule is left of center so that oncoming traffic can spot my headlight. Right of center, in traffic, puts you tucked in behind vehicles which makes you hard to see for oncoming traffic. I have seen a lot of cars decide to pass right as the car they can see moves passed them, and that leaves the bike looking at a car moving into their lane.

With trucks I move right to minimize wind blast, but then right back to that left spot.

Another good time to move right is coming up to a cross street with stop signs. That guy waiting to turn left needs to see you so he does not start moving the second the car in front of you goes through the intersection.

I guess the real rule is to use all of your lane to position yourself for road conditions first, visibility second, and safety no matter what.

. Lately, many of the roads here in CT have been paved in three sections..They pave the middle of the entire road ( half one lane...half the other lane..then finish up the remaining sections. I understand it keeps traffic moving while they pave BUT, I am constantly avoiding that crack/split as it is right where I tend to ride..

I've often heard that CT has very high taxes, now I know part of why. Making 3 passes to pave a road instead of 2. Plus putting the seam in the tread track for better water/ice penetration doesn't seem to be optimal.
Not insulting your state alto, just thinking' with my fingers.:small3d023:

No worry about insulting my State. There's so many things about CT that I abhor. I'll stay here because of family. If not for family and extended family, I'd be out of here today.. I'd go south or west to be surrounded with more of 'my' people. I don't have much in common with the majority of CT. I've spent all 60 years here and, I guess, I'll finish here.
As to the seam in the roads...very annoying. When riding RT 4 , ( N West CT.)that seam moves all over the place. First, it's 5 feet in from center, so my track is fine.rounding a sweeping corner, that seam moves to within a foot or so from the absolute center line. I have to cross it, cross back later..back and forth. Annoying indeed.

As things are slightly different where i live in that we drive on the correct side of the road in the first place
But once on the roag i use the whole width of the lane normally setting the bike up for the best line through the next bend if however i find a wee straight bit of road then i would adopt the position towards the centre line of the road and keep my wheels in the place that has been smoothed and swept clean by the cars

Brian

As things are slightly different where i live in that we drive on the correct side of the road in the first place
But once on the roag i use the whole width of the lane normally setting the bike up for the best line through the next bend if however i find a wee straight bit of road then i would adopt the position towards the centre line of the road and keep my wheels in the place that has been smoothed and swept clean by the cars

Brian

:) :D :rofl :newsmile061::lolrolling " on the CORRECT side of the road" :rofl

So all these years i have been doing it wrong? LOL:p

Back