free website stats program Riding in the CCCold | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in the CCCold

Don't mind the cold. The black ice is the part I hate. Thankfully we don't get much around here. Just the normal ice in winter and the trucks pretty much have cut a track through it for the bike.

Riding is one thing but last night on the news there were all these people jumping in the ocean for a new years day swim. It was for a great cause, the Special Olimpics, but man, the temp at my house never went above 8 degrees f, yesterday with wind chill factors down in the minus teens. I was cold, sitting in the house, watching them. BRRRRRRRR!

Once they throw the salt, I keep it in the garage till it rains a couple of times in the spring. Smitty does make an interesting offer, Might have to go see him and watch how the big boys do it in the snow.

I used to live in Memphis was married there it does not get cold in Memphis you can not do a polar bear ride or swim unless it is Zero :)
come on up next year in 1 Jan 2010 you can join us
I miss Memphis some times, but not the Shelby county jail.

Would love to visit but I'm won't let you talk me into riding in the snow Smitty.:D

Once they throw the salt, I keep it in the garage till it rains a couple of times in the spring. Smitty does make an interesting offer, Might have to go see him and watch how the big boys do it in the snow.

I'm with ya 100%. My baby won't taste salt. It has been sunny and around 20 to 30 degrees. But with all the snow and ice we have had, it will be another 2 months before the salt disappears. Our roads are white and full of pot holes. Spring can't come soon enough.

I think the coldest I have done is 15 degrees fahrenheit and I have no idea what the wind chill was. I was on the way to work one morning....a 47 mile ride at about 70mph.....that was flippin cold!!

Last week for Xmas I trailered the scoot up to Pittsburgh, PA to visit family and rode two out of the four days and it was around 21 degrees. The worst part was trailering between Cumberland, MD and Uniontown, PA...all kinds of slush and salt and grunge in the mountain passes....the bike was unrecognizable so she immediately got taken to the local HD for a shower and a massage....the guy at the dealership said it was the dirtiest bike he ever saw and hoped that I wasnt riding it when it got that dirty or they would have to shower me down too....:D

The temp was in the mid to low 20's earlier this week. I was trying to pick which pain was worse, the pain of not riding or the pain from the cold, so I went. The pain from not riding was worse. I got a little cold and a few numb spot but it was worth it. This will be my First full spring and summer with my bike, we have lots of big plans. I can't wait.

Camo

We have a Polar Bear Ride this morning here in Memphis. I thought it would be nice starting out this morning but it's 24 deg. (No snow on the ground Smitty):D Good thing is the high is going to be 52. We ride down to the river and watch the fools water skiing so I won't feel to much like a fool myself. We do this to raise money for the make-a-wish foundation. Does anybody else have group rides like this in the winter?

Not sure what 24 Frankenstein is but i have ridden in -4 centipede, ice settling on my jacket front. But that was many years ago when i had to ride to work. It had to be above 15c now for me lol, even then i get cold. Have just treated myself to some battery heated gloves, they heat all down the finger and across the front of the glove to stop wind chill. Just waiting for them to arrive.

It's supposed to be 36degrees and sunny here in NW jersey today:bigsmiley8:. Sounds like with the right gear:newsmile062: it might be riding weather:rider. (Even if it's a short ride) .

Back