free website stats program Riding at night | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding at night

Night or day is fine with me. I just love being able to ride. However I don't get to ride much at night because I have a 2 month old at home.

Yeah I know. It seem like yesterday we were getting ready for the hospital. I also have a 14, 12 & 7 year old at home. All girls! Needless to say, I'm way out numbered!

Bought a pair of Snapon yellow tinted saftey glasses.

They look good , reduce glare from oncoming vehicles, and offer good protection from foriegn objetcs

No difference to me riding day or night, there are hazards and risks associated with each, more cages and trucks during the day, more critters that may cross the road at night. A good rider will compensate their speed and adjust riding habits accordingly. IMO the only people I ever read about getting killed or seriously hurt riding at night involved high rates of speed or alcohol., there may be others but those are the ones that make the news. Just don't over drive your headlamps. The only thing that will stop me from riding, rain or shine, night or day is a traction issue.

Got to agree with smitty... ride because I want to... too many people come up and tell me "you must be saving gas".... they just don't get it:bigsmiley20:

Just cause it is dark is no reason not to ride...just use some caution...

Same here people ask what gas mileage i get I say... uhh.. about a tank and a half on a sunday afternoon :bigsmiley24:

twicecam, I like that answer. When someone (usually when I'm filling up) asks me about fuel mileage I just give them the factory estimate for highway.

You don't see many bikes out at night and I sorta figured I was strange for loving it. I also like to ride in storms, keeping ahead of the rain but digging the wind and lightning. If the rain catches me I pull off at a carwash or other business overhang in the next small town or if it's too far I carry a GI poncho that covers me and the bike pretty good.

Like you guys I ride cos I love it day or night, I have always enjoyed night riding again except in the rain, on a warm summer night without another vehicle on the road its something else. As for fuel who cares my only worry is not having enough between gas stations. One slight problem here in Oz though are the kangaroos they can be as big or bigger then a man and can ruin your whole night if you are unlucky.

I must be a backwards thinking person.I actualy did buy a new bike to save money.I looked at my old truck with 125k on it and descided it was time for a new bike.I figured i'll get another couple of years outa the truck by riding the bike everywere.Problem solved,no need for a new truck.Just think of how much a new truck woulda cost me.

my nkight vision sucks if i get out of tow n from the city lights was in the country one night about a year ago and it scared me to death

I found some of the replies to my post interesting. There are some people here that know me so they will understand what I am going to say. I also enjoy riding, but I guess that I grew up on a different side of the tracks than most. I actually know people in my area that bought small bikes, scooters and if they live in town, bicycles to save at the pumps. Their main concern was to try and beat the hight cost of gas. Their bikes aren't meant for the long haul like some of ours are. Some of them get 60 to 70 mpg on their scoots. They enjoy riding to and from work, but their main concern was saving money. Not everybody can afford a Harley or another bike of size to just enjoy riding. I remember reading the comment, "and he actually believes that." Yep I do, because some of the people that are trying to keep their heads above water are my friends. To each his own. I've also done my share of driving at night and I also know about the vision thing and the animal thing. If that's what a person enjoys, then so be it. Have a nice weekend.

Back