free website stats program Riding Along US/Mex Border? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Along US/Mex Border?

Dr. Dolittle,

I just have to ask as I was supposed to go out there this weekend, but, my riding buddy didn't get his special liberty chit turned in 48 hrs in advance. Did you go to the abandonded Air Force base? Was the Sunrise highway open? We are planning to go out there this Sunday.

One of my friends has a buddy comming out from "New York City!" and he is going to let him borrow his Softail so he can experiance some So. Cal riding.

Dr. Dolittle,

I just have to ask as I was supposed to go out there this weekend, but, my riding buddy didn't get his special liberty chit turned in 48 hrs in advance. Did you go to the abandonded Air Force base? Was the Sunrise highway open? We are planning to go out there this Sunday.

One of my friends has a buddy comming out from "New York City!" and he is going to let him borrow his Softail so he can experiance some So. Cal riding.

Sorry, I don't think I went to either of those places. I rode 94 to Campo and gassed up at the only station I had seen in forever! Then Buckman Springs Road to Old Hwy 80 (avoids getting on I8), to 79 to lunch in Julian. I did make the side trip off 79 to Mount Laguna so I guess that's what's called the Sunrise Hwy. It was open from 79 all the way to the FAA radar site and picnic areas and that's where I turned around. After lunch I went 79 to 78 to Ramona and then down through the Barona reservation and then superslab back into town.

Have a great ride!

Well, I rode the exact route I described last Thursday and had zero problems. I'm glad I somehow neglected to read all these posts about arming myself - sorry, not my style. There was a large Border Patrol presence and one checkpoint but they waved me through without even having to stop. One thing I will say, though. I rode this route at around noon - not sure I'd be comfortable doing it at night - very remote area.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but I have to ask why you posted the question and then went ahead and did it anyway. What have got to say for your self mister. Mabe you need to be grounded from your bike for a while!

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but I have to ask why you posted the question and then went ahead and did it anyway. What have got to say for your self mister. Mabe you need to be grounded from your bike for a while!

Ummm.....because I didn't get any hard evidence that it was actually a dangerous route in the broad daylight and several folks at the dealership where I rented the bike from confirmed this.

Back