free website stats program Riding after Total Hip Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding after Total Hip Replacement

Don't know what the Chief means but if your an old Navy Chief, take it from one of your brother Chief's. I've had 5 back surgeries, last August I totaled a 06 Ultra, and fractured my C-6/T-6, and last December they went in and added extra parts and overhauled some stuff in there too. Feb I purchased a New 09 FLHX, and even though I'm slower on my feet, and not as stable getting on and off, I ride every chance I get! Yes I'm not able to ride more than 200-300 miles a day, but I ride! If your ever in Maryland, look up this old seadog, and let's ride!!!!

Hi Kevin,
I'm glad that your procedure went so well and you are on the road.
I can give up this year knowing I'll be able for the next. Might be a good time for projects like a reupholstering the seat.
Thanks for your insight and support,
Larry

Take is slow Chief, don't rush it, the bike will be there in the garage waiting for ya. I'm glad to hear so many have had surgry and are back riding. It's not me it's my wife. She needs her hips replaced. She wants to get on my bike so bad, but can't swing her leg around. I think I'll have her read your posts for a little inspriation. I'd be a little leary too I guess. But you take care Chief. We'll see ya on the rode before ya know it.

Cheif,
I didn't say I wasn't able untill a year later, I felt great and was riding my mountain bike and hiking and doing everything better than I had in years, I said my wife wouldn't agree that I was ready till then.
Kevin

Rjvice. The cheif comes from work in fire/ems. I logged sea time in the USCG. Anyway thanks for advice and support. My dream is to ride coast to coast, maybe not this year but next. If you find your way to Alaska, let me know.

DDogg, thanks for the advice, I'll try not to push it too hard. Let your wife know the procedure not has hard as I perceived. Days 1 & 2 were the worst at day 7 I'm on crutches and getting around pretty well. My best advice is timing the procedure, the best being the spring, summer, or early fall. Stay away from the frost snow ice.
Larry

michaelm, I was sure I wasn't the first to go thru this, and your history is inspiring me to fight the good fight. I was really concerned my riding days were over, but now feel it will be up to me and rehab to get on the road again.
Thanks for your post,
Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is it makes me feel really good to hear riders recover from physical hardship to continue a sport that truly is one to be experienced on, not be restricted to the sidelines.

Motorcycling really is not a spectator sport, it is like golf, in it's simplicity, execution and the skill being the main ingredients, **many may disagree here, so please do not pound me into the dirt** but like golf unless your "in the game"...being a spectator is pretty boring, hey, you had the ball in your hand, you whack it as far as you can and walk after it, to finally hit it into a tiny hole, and repeat...it is a silly sport taking 3 or 4 hours of your free time to play and costs are huge. But just try to explain motorcycling to non-riders, they never understand our love for two wheeled sports...try to get that many "--smiles per mile" in 3 or 4 hours...yeah it is expensive also, but there is no comparison which one gets my vote, I may LOVE Golf, but my HD riding goes far beyond that...PASSION, LIFESTYLE...nothing like it!

All I can say is it makes me feel really good to hear riders recover from physical hardship to continue a sport that truly is one to be experienced on, not be restricted to the sidelines.

Motorcycling really is not a spectator sport, it is like golf, in it's simplicity, execution and the skill being the main ingredients, **many may disagree here, so please do not pound me into the dirt** but like golf unless your "in the game"...being a spectator is pretty boring, hey, you had the ball in your hand, you whack it as far as you can and walk after it, to finally hit it into a tiny hole, and repeat...it is a silly sport taking 3 or 4 hours of your free time to play and costs are huge. But just try to explain motorcycling to non-riders, they never understand our love for two wheeled sports...try to get that many "--smiles per mile" in 3 or 4 hours...yeah it is expensive also, but there is no comparison which one gets my vote, I may LOVE Golf, but my HD riding goes far beyond that...PASSION, LIFESTYLE...nothing like it!

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. Simplicity - Grab my gear, push the start button and listen to that sweet rumble. Execution - dodging that plastic bag that seemed to want to walk across the road just as I was passing by. Skill - Dropping down a gear, give it some troddle, and passing the cage on the cell phone. If I had it my way, they will bury me on my Harley.

Hi chief, i had hip surgery in october 08. Riding previous to the surgery was enjoyable but became uncomfortable and painful on the longer rides. Riding this year, post surgery, there is no comparison! Completely pain free and much more enjoyable. As mentioned by other riders, keep up on your post surgery exercises and physio and you will be fine!

Thanks BLUEBAGGER that is what I was hoping to hear.
Did you have to do changes to the seat, or any other modifications?
Larry

I had a total replacement of my right hip about 5 weeks ago (3/30/09).

No more hip pain....but did lose about 25 lbs so my recovery was slowed due to strength issues.

Doing great now...hope to be back at work in another 10 days. Maybe riding by the 1st of June.

Back