free website stats program Ridin' in the rain... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ridin' in the rain...

It's (hopefully) your gauge Mavagrand. The oil temp should be in the 230's to 250's. I have a Dakota console on mine and it reads the front jug Head temp direct from the HD sensor in the head. At cruising speeds it never gets near 300*F, usually around 230*. If I slow or get into a stopped situation, it starts to climb and slowly gets close to 300* till I turn on the Lenale and then "very slowly" over time it starts to drop back down.

I got caught in a slow rain coming thru Orlando awhile back and there was some sort of traffic issue and we moved at about 10 mph for about 20 mins. Even in the rain it started to climb in heat.

I don't mind rain but when I get one of those big Florida Thunder busters, there's a blast of cold air that drops in on ya right after the buckets start to fall. I have to stop and put on a rain jacket then or I freeze riding. Never put the pants on, but do use the jacket in those situations.

It's (hopefully) your gauge Mavagrand. The oil temp should be in the 230's to 250's. I have a Dakota console on mine and it reads the front jug Head temp direct from the HD sensor in the head. At cruising speeds it never gets near 300*F, usually around 230*. If I slow or get into a stopped situation, it starts to climb and slowly gets close to 300* till I turn on the Lenale and then "very slowly" over time it starts to drop back down.

I got caught in a slow rain coming thru Orlando awhile back and there was some sort of traffic issue and we moved at about 10 mph for about 20 mins. Even in the rain it started to climb in heat.

I don't mind rain but when I get one of those big Florida Thunder busters, there's a blast of cold air that drops in on ya right after the buckets start to fall. I have to stop and put on a rain jacket then or I freeze riding. Never put the pants on, but do use the jacket in those situations.

Yes, the gauge is not accurate above 180*, I checked it with my buddies digital gauge on a ride to NC a couple of years ago. My gauge was pegged out at 300*, stopped installed his dipstick gauge and rode for awhile. It was reading around 260* while my dash gague was still pegged out. I've learned what is normal for my bike and don't freak when the gauge starts reading high.

I don't mind the rain riding either but yesterday it came with lightning too, I'm sure you saw some of it. That did make me nervous, would hate to get hit by lightning while riding.

. . . . . yesterday it came with lightning too, I'm sure you saw some of it. That did make me nervous, would hate to get hit by lightning while riding.

Yea I've been in them where you see the huge bolts across the sky. Makes you feel kinda like being naked in a public place LOL. In a cage you are dry and the current would just run down the wet outside to ground. On a bike, not the same. Only good thing about getting hit by ligthning on a bike is you probably will never know it.

I do not care for riding in the rain that much. I do avoid thunder storms when possible. But when I cannot I just sit back and make the most out of the ride. The road film from the wet roads sure does make a mess on the bike!

I understand all the things that come into play to make the heat management start to work but 300 degrees is still 300 degrees wheather your doing 2 miles an hour or 80 miles an hour thats why I asked about the gauge:bigsmiley12:

Summer here in Florida is a lesson in riding in and around the rain. With almost daily showers, one gets conditioned to being wet and dry. I don't ride if the forcast is 40% chance or better. Most times they are correct. I will ride through a shower but not a downpour. I have rain gear, but only use it when i get caught on the road and it looks like it won't end for a while. Been wet and cold, it's not for me. :bigsmiley32:

I am not a fan of riding in the rain myself, but if you ride enough you are gonna get caught in it sooner or later. Got caught in a down pour last summer that lasted bout 4 minutes, it came down so hard I was wet in places I didnt even know I had.

Usually, when I've been caught in the rain, I was wearing an open-faced helmet and sunglasses. I don't mind getting wet, but the rain hitting my face feels like bees! (Old shovelhead, no windshield.) I'm the guy that you see, riding in the rain, holding is hand out in front of him, trying to "block" the bees from hitting him in the face! I've started carrying a bandana to tie on my face, Billy the Kid-style, to block some of the rain. Then, I'll tip my helmet as far forward as i can to cover my forehead.

A smarter guy would just wear his full-faced helmet...but I've proven that I'm not that guy. Its a Shoei, and it's a really nice helmet, but it feels like it weighs 100 lbs.

I'm the guy that you see, riding in the rain, holding is hand out in front of him, trying to "block" the bees from hitting him in the face.

Passed a guy on I4 who was doing this. He caught up with me later while I was under an overpass, we both stood there waiting for the rain to slacken. I ended up giving him my clear riding glasses..he was only fifteen minutes away from home, so I felt for the guy.

Back