free website stats program Rider Backrests | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rider Backrests

Spend the extra $100, it is well worth it, I love my adjustable backrest. After riding for a while I too like to lean back further or maybe sit more upright couldn't do it with the fixed rest. It' s worth it!

Spend the extra $100, it is well worth it, I love my adjustable backrest. After riding for a while I too like to lean back further or maybe sit more upright couldn't do it with the fixed rest. It' s worth it!

ditto 100% (short but wise words!)

I decided to go with the adjustable backrest. Thanks for the input guys. I just finished installing it. I used USMCCWO5'S tip and installed the lever in the right side cover, looks great. The pictures you posted for that mod are awesome. Thanks for that tip James :) Went for a quick ride, this is one of those things that make you wonder how you ever survived without it.

did a 900 mile ride to pensacola fl, i'm glad i had the adjustable backrest, it allowed me to re-adjust to get more miles behind me.

BUY THE ADJUSTABLE, MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!

So there you have it get the fixed or get the variable one :bigsmiley11:

So actually I believe you should try to find someone with the fixed backrest and see how it initially feels. If you love it then consider if you'll be doing long hauls. I try to average somewhere around 425 and 600 miles a day. On the 5th day of a trip like that consider if you would want to move around or not. If it's fixed you don't have much of a choice.

Personally I ordered the variable one for the exact reasons stated; sometimes I like to sit upright and sometines I like to lean back.

YMMV

I put the adjustable one on and here's my problem/question. Let me see if I can word this correctly. The backrest in the furthest position towards the back of the bike is as far forward as I think I'd ever like it. In other words, I can't see myself ever adjusting it further towards the front of the bike, and that's the only adjustment zone I have right now. Is there a way to bend the metal bar attached to the pad some so the furthest aft position is farther than it is now and that would give me some adjustment forward to still get it where it is now? What type of shop or vendor can do that for me without damaging the unit?

Adjustable has got to be the way to go with back issues. For me, I'm like Hobbit, feels best to change position every once in awhile, no matter how slightly.

Bottom line - you're riding a Harley for Pete's sake, let's not get cheap now and worry about a hundred bucks! :p

Doc...double down on everything...right :newsmile108:

There is a double nut (jam nut) on the gas shock. You can back it off and it goes back further. I like mine....... Nice and adjustable LazyBoy for the road

I have a fixed back rest and i agree with your logic that once it is set it does not have to be moved. I have ridden a number of miles and have not felt the need to change the position. Oh and to change the position while a little time consuming is not that hard. :)

Back