free website stats program Rider Adjustable Backrest Installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Rider Adjustable Backrest Installation

Nitrocrushr

I just purchased a Rider Adjustable Backrest (part#52423-09) for my 2008 Ultra Classic. Also included in the purchase was the mounting kit (part#52593-09). Well, this afternoon I decided to install the backrest.

I read through the instructions and it is easy to understand and should not have taken long at all.......until I got to the self clinching nuts that mount in the hex holes of the frame plate behind the motor. This is where the adjustable rest adjustment lever will get mounted.

The instructions tell you to take the self clinching nut, turn the hex screw in until the head of the hex screw is just touching the flange side of the nut. No problem here.

Next you insert the self clinching nut into the top hex hole in the frame plate, hold it firmly in place in the frame and turn the hex screw approximately 2.5 turns until the back of the self clinching nut is deformed into place and wedged into the frame. I got no more than a quarter turn on this hex screw before the self clinching nut began to spin in the hex hole of the frame???

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong? Any other suggestions? The metal on the self clinching nut seems pretty cheap and the frame plate isn't all that thick so I can see how it is able to spin. There's not much metal surrounding it to keep it from spinning.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Wow, mine went in without a hitch. Is the deforming nut all the way seated in the cutout? Is there a different one you can try? They might each be slightly different in size. Flip it over and try it the other way?

Wow, mine went in without a hitch. Is the deforming nut all the way seated in the cutout? Is there a different one you can try? They might each be slightly different in size. Flip it over and try it the other way?

Yes, I had the flange tight against the frame plate when I started turing the hex screw. No more than a quarter turn and it was spinning. There was a second deforming nut in the kit and I gave that one a try to, same result. Actually on the 2nd one, I took a wrench and put it on the hex of the deforming nut and it started to spin itself in the wrench. I think I will try a standard nut and one of those star type lock washers. I can get my fingers in behind the plate and hold it to get a good start on it. As long as the star washer keeps the nut from spinning as it starts to tighten up I should be ok. Think this might work?

Steve

Well I went to the HD shop and got another Self Clinching nut, then tackled the project again. Everything went together perfectly this time.

Now for the admission of what I did wrong....

Yesterday I grabbed the wrong bolt when installing the self clinching nut. I accidentally grabbed the shorter, self locking bolt (the ones with the ribbed base). So when I was tightening it up it was gripping the self clinching nut, causing it to turn......DOH!!!! Working night shift and doing projects during the day don't always work so well for me....heh. Anyway, I used the correct bolt with the smooth base this time and the self clinching nut tightened up perfectly.

Bottom line, this is a great kit that went together as it should and the problem I had was self induced. It's an awesome backrest for anyone thinking of buying one:s

Steve

Man, easy mistake to make. Those kits come with so many different size nuts and bolts you have to double and triple check every time you reach for something!

Glad you got it all worked out - you'll love that backrest!

I just picked one of these units up for my '05 Ultra from a friend (previously installed on an '08 Ultra). Is the install the same for the '05? I did not get the installation instructions with the unit, so I am flying blind here! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Glad you got it straightened out. I was going to say to pre-thread the nut and bolt in a bench vise first.

Hey, don't feel dumb. I left the house today for a short ride and got three blocks away and the bike died. Rats I thought, I'll have to push it back home, until I realized I hadn't turned the gas on. :p

Thanks for the assistance and link. I am new to the site - looks great so far! I looked at the PDF file and it seems to tell me everything I need to know. Thanks once again!

Back