free website stats program Ride to the War Memorial in DC ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride to the War Memorial in DC ?

92FXRS

Anybody headed to the War Memorial Wall in DC for Memorials Day this year ? Several of us are going, didn't really know what to expect. Understand that it will probably be really crowded. Just looking for "what to do's or not do's" ?

Been there 3 or 4 times.
Some advice that may help, cause I learned it the hard way. LOL
Take plenty of water and a big umbrella. There ain't much shade. It can get hot on the pentigon parking lot. And take something to snack on, and some cash. And you may be there for a long time before you ride into the parade. Also make sure your bike is up to the task, it can be pretty brutal on them in the heat and stop and go situation. Some of the area HD dealers usually have an esscorted ride from thier dealerships in the morning to the staging area at the Pentigon lot. I've found it was nice to hook up with them and it makes it quicker and easier trip down there.
There will be vendors in the lot selling T-shirts and water and food. But the water and food is $$$ expensive as one would expect. There will be thousands and I do mean thousands of bikes and all types of riders.
I've heard people say it is the longest "Duck Walk Parade" in the world. Meaning there are a lot of Non rider's or should I say unskilled and or the careless type that may be riding in close proximity to you. A ot of them have thier feet on the ground more than on thier pegs. And can't ride slow at all and that ain't a good thing in a parade. So be careful. But having said that, it is an awsome time and something everyone should get to experience at least once. And it is an honor to be able to show our support and thanks to those who serve and have served us. God Bless them and keep them safe.
Maybe I'll see you down there, I'll be riding a Harley and wearing a black Harley t-shirt look for me. "Ha Ha" Be safe and have a good time!

Been there twice, pretty much like the above posted, bring your own food, water and money. It's gonna be one of the best (or worst) ride depending on the riders in front of you, you'll have a pleasant ride if the front riders are experienced riders. Have a great trip, oh by the way, bring some ear plugs with ya just in case.

That sounds like a great trip, and the Wall would be great on Memorial Day.

Ya'll keep cool heads there.

Yep Ear plugs, a good thing. Also if your on a bagger and have room for one of those little folding stools or chairs they can be nice. I forgot to say definatley bring your camera. We placed a video camera on the handle bars and filmed the whole route one year, it worked great and was awsome to watch later. So much you miss, mainly because riding safely you have to pay attention to the traffic around you and you miss what's on the sidelines.
And also when you get to the end of the parade route, which is on Constitution Ave before the wall and D or C street area, you can usually find a place to park on the grass next to the sidewalk. You will see lot's of other bikes parked there. It is neat to sit and watch the rest of the parade go by.

Back