free website stats program Ride quality | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride quality

BossMan

I am thinking of swapping my Ultra for a Heritage. I prefer the looks & handling of the lower bike. I generally ride 2 up and travel @ 2 - 300 miles when we ride. How much ride comfort will I be giving up & have any of you put air ride on your softails. I find the Ultra to be to large & cumbersome for me to handle comfortably. :( Plus I carry it in the back of my RV toy hauler which has a rather steep ramp. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't do it. Your ride comfort on the touring bike is unbeatable.

Lower your bike, it will still be comfortable if you don't go overboard.

The trade-off of putting your current bike up the steep ramp is worth the comfort of the Ultra.

How many miles have you operated the Ultra, you will become more accustomed to the weight with time. Take an advanced rider's course. You will be surprised at what you can do with the big bike.

I agree there. Many say that the softails ride nice being they have one.
Being I have had both, there's no comparison between the two. The bagger is the more comfortable ride by a substantial margin.

Don't do it - as it's been said many times before, "There's a reason it's called an ULTRA!"

I second what Hobbit said above. I have an '03 UC that I went to from my '91 Dyna. It was a huge transition. The Dyna COG is dragging around down in the top of the cases somewhere. The Ultra with all the stuff piled high had a very high COG that made it feel unstable to me. But it is now lowered front AND back, and I have the REACH seat that lowers ME!! Those things plus a regime of packing the heaviest stuff I am carrying the lowest possible make this bike VERY stable. It is now a joy to ride. Not sporty like the Dyna, but comfortable, stable and fun with all the amenities it offers.

I suggest that you try those options and give the bike another season. See if she doesn't come through for you!!

TQ

Most people are gonna say don't do it. Some are gonna say Do it. I say take advantage of the test ride program going on at a lot of dealer and decide for yourself.

Back