free website stats program Ride or Trailer to Sturgis? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride or Trailer to Sturgis?

Ride to Sturgis if you can. I've ridden there three times from Chicago. On two of the trips I rode 700-1,000 miles in 24 hours from Chicago to Sturgis on a '98 xlh1200. The first time was with no windshield and a stock seat. The second time was with a windshield (HD Convertible) and a Mustang wide solo seat. The second time seemed easy. For me, the ride to and from is as much a part of the experience as the days in Sturgis.

jzink1200

How I get there is my own business and only mine but I will share them with you.

Went in '04, '06 and '08.

In '04, I left Worcester, MA on Thu, bike loaded up for the ride of a lifetime, hooking up with a friend in New Jersey and stopping along the way at various houses of friends met on the net, along the way, arriving in Sturgis on Tue afternoon. Partied nightly, mostly in the campground after riding the Black Hills, etc during the day. Left Sun, putting 667 miles on the clock, Mon clocked 712 miles and Tue clocked another 535 miles, arriving home late afternoon.

In '06, I had planned to ride with the same buddy and two others but about 10 days prior to leaving, an opportunity presented itself to put my bike on a truck and fly out. My two close buddies were doing the truck/fly route when one had to cancel. I took his place rather the letting one go alone, an option I will never regret. I boarded a plane in Boston at 6 am and was at my hotel in Rapid City by noon time, bike waiting for me. My buddy was on a later flight. Two days later we were on our way to Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Cody and Beartooth Pass. Yeah, we went the reverse way of the way the masses do! Did 1,500 miles just in Wyoming and Montana.

Move on to '08 and these two are planning on trailering their bikes and riding in a conversion van. Gas is up over $4 a gallon and I want nothing to do with that trip. The reason they wanted to do that is because they "figured" the price to truck/fly would be higher. I made a few calls and booked the three of us for $1,800 each, $300 cheaper than the '06 cost. We had 9 days of fun in the Sturgis area, again not a regret.

We're doing it again next year and a few others are interested in joining us as well. This time we're thinking of using the truck/fly route as a mere drop-off/pick-up method and getting on the road to Colorado/Utah.

I just did a four-day, 1,100 mile trip. My old behind can't handle more than that on the Deuce. Someday I may step-up and get me one of the VistaCruiser type bikes. :Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
You first need to ask yourself if your bike is equipped to carry everything you need safely. For me it is a 1700 mile trip one way and have done it with my wife on my 1990 Harley Tour Glide-which is well equipped for the trip. Also remember that most trips that you take are not this long, so you might carry more than normal. Most important is safety...make sure that the weight is distributed as evenly as possible and secure as possible. Buy a good rain suit. Ear plugs helped alot too.Take breaks when needed-I personally was comfortable stopping only when i needed gas. Constant highway driving tends to make you more tired than twisties and stop and go's. With these few tips and some good planning, ride it! Hope this helps.

Trailers are for transporting broken bikes if they can't be fixed where they sit. You bought the bike to ride, so RIDE

I'm heading that way in the morning! The Mrs. & I riding it all the way plus a few "site-seeing" rides while there. We have never been up that way - so away we go !!! Don't want to go while the rally is happening - sorry never been the one to try to ride with 10,000 other bikes in the same area!!! Got a room booked for a few days in Sturgis.

I'm heading that way in the morning! The Mrs. & I riding it all the way plus a few "site-seeing" rides while there. We have never been up that way - so away we go !!! Don't want to go while the rally is happening - sorry never been the one to try to ride with 10,000 other bikes in the same area!!! Got a room booked for a few days in Sturgis.

Update --- Be careful going up I-29 from St. Joe,Mo. to Souix Falls S. Dakota!!! Road const. most of the way!!!!

However it fits your need, it is OK. Some people trailer there and ride 1500 miles through spearfish canyon and the black hills only to be ridiculed by people who ride there from a few hundred miles away and put on 300 miles total. Go figure. It is you and your ride, don't worry about other people. If you do your missing the whole point. Let them get off on their rant while you enjoy your ride and don't let them rent any space in your mind.

Merlynn, nothing wrong with either decision IMHO. Being new to the HD family, I can accept the flak from other who are seasoned veterans...just the mere fact that you ARE going to such a big event is a postive THUMBS UP by any standard. Trailering gives you an additional advantage, especially if the first time. You can pick and choose the road, gas, rest and overnight stays on your terms and plan along the way for a future subsequent trip there on the bike. Nothing wrong with either decision...

I remember living in California and only visited Yosemite twice...1st time I was a teenager with too many other interests to really appreciate it...last year I went with my daughters and Coline (who had never been)...truck with teardrop trailer in tow and had an awesome time. I only wished I had equipped it with the rail for the scooter for some two wheeled fun. But if we decide to take the motorcycle next time, we know places to stop and camp. So don't worry about what others think, just enjoy Sturgis and do a litte "INTEL" and next time if you decide to motor all the way you will be ready. Who knows, you may want to make it a "family" thing the next time. All the options are yours for the taking.
Good Post. Like I say do what is best for you. I do what is best for me, there is a old term "different strokes for different folks"

Back