free website stats program Ride or Trailer to Sturgis? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride or Trailer to Sturgis?

Being in the Tampa area, I realize it is a long ride. My sister lives in Arkansas and I'll probably trailer to her house and then ride the 1000 miles to Sturgis when I do go. I think it's a good 4500-5000 mile round trip and I don't know if I want to be on a bike only for 10 days or so.

It's 1,499 miles from my house to Sturgis. I'm going for the first time this year and I'm riding all the way. I never understood why people would trailer their bike to bo to a bike rally, or anywhere else. Why have the bike if you are not going to ride it to your destination?

Been thinking about Sturgis for a few years and decided next year is it. The question is should I ride to Sturgis or freight the bike and fly so as to have more time to ride when I get there?

I cringe every time I'm riding to a rally and see bikes on trailers, just seems wrong somehow. I also want to proudly wear one of those "I rode mine" Sturgis patches. And I have the ultimate machine to make the trip. Flying in and having the bike shipped just seems ultimately lame to me.

On the other hand I live in South Florida, that's one heck of a trip just to get there. Pretty much made up my mind already but curious how you folks feel about the trade off of riding there and getting the whole experience versus trailering or flying while having the bike shipped to enjoy more time at the event.

one simple belief here.... it's not about the destination, it's all about the trip!!!

I think it mainly comes down to what type of rider that you are: A power-drinker at the bar all night or a back-road rider who likes to see amazing things. (Don't get me wrong - I'm both!)

I live about 1,000 miles out and ride in over an easy 2 day trip, stopping for breaks and fuel every 125 miles or so. The rally has been getting more and more crowded recently, so I haven't been in the last few years. I did prefer to arrive mid-week the week prior and leave mid-week during the rally. That way I get in all of the great local rides while there aren't a lot of bozo's acting goofy and you get a better sense of being on the open range in the old west, or something.

Instead of Sturgis, a group of riders that I hang with has been seeing the rest of the country.
2007: Route 66
2008: Maine
2009: Northwest (Postponed due to economy)

If your time from work, etc is limited, there is great reson that you might trailer some or all of the way. One thing to keep in mind is that it can be quite HOT while on your way in the southern states and quite COLD where you're in South Dakota in the evenings. (I think in 2005, it snowed!)

Can someone explain to me how trailering is faster than riding? Several people have mentioned that trailering should be considered if time is limited. I can understand how flying and renting would be useful if time is limited, but I'm unclear on how trailering is faster than riding since a person can ride as fast as they can drive.

Trailering is not necessarily faster, it just makes the riding at the end like Sturgis easier because you are fresh along with the bike, if we are talking about the so-called Toy Trailer w/ bike inside along with berthing and living quarters, the ultimate trailering experience.

If you use a 2 or 3 type rail trailer, it is just like trucking the bikes only a lot further than say "dirt bikers" on race weekends or multi-bike touring repleat with "sag wagon" scenario bringing up the rear. Like I stated earlier, we used a teardrop trailer, with rail for small 2 wheeler, no need to pitch a tent,; Crank up the towing wheel/mount, block the tires, just throw your sleeping togs on and yer ready to pack it in...much easier and convenient than a tent.

Experience the ride. We ride from Illinois the first day we ride about 650 miles. Once we are there for the week we ride approx. another 1,000 miles enjoying the senic roads, needles highway, spearfish canyon, custerpark, mount rushmore,deadwood, keystone, thats just a few of the areas.

Have fun.

Ride .... Ride ..... I rode solo last year from central Florida, took my time going up and stayed off interstates most of the time. Rode everyday in and around Sturgis ..... I did not find in crowded on the roads only in towns and around the HD dealerships but what an experience. Rode back down thru Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and the southern gulf states. Sturgis was okay but it was the open roads for me that made the trip.

Several friends I met there had trailer their bikes but they had limited time.

If you can swing it .... ride. You do have the perfect bike for the trip, go for it!

Have not been able to get to Sturgis yet. One of my best buddies i ride with all the time wants to make the trip. His health is the limiting factor. He is a Diabetic with other issues and can only do about 350 miles per day and that is hard on him. Camping like the old days is no longer an option as well. For us to enjoy Sturgis and be able to ride and see all the surrounding area trailering there would be the only option. I am also looking forward to my son now 14 getting his license. I want to find an older Harley he can earn through sweat equity. I have dreamed of riding to Sturgis with him since he was born. Hopefully he will turn his love of racing dirt bikes into the love of riding I have.

Back