free website stats program Ride or Trailer to Sturgis? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride or Trailer to Sturgis?

I have a dyna, but when I go next year...
I'll be riding mine, she's never been on a trailer, and I don't ever want to start that. (she'd get mad at me)

i have been going for 19 years now, i have been riding up the last four this year will make 5, and a couple in between. riding around the hills and over to devils tower and spearfish canyon are great rides. i have had some years where i was glad i did trailer due to rain and some very hot days, so a ride in the van was nice. i also enjoyed riding up and taking a little time to get there. from your distance maybe trailer and have some drivers to help out, maybe drive in the last couple hundred or so. good luck and enjoy it.
thers nothing like it.

Merlynn, nothing wrong with either decision IMHO. Being new to the HD family, I can accept the flak from other who are seasoned veterans...just the mere fact that you ARE going to such a big event is a postive THUMBS UP by any standard. Trailering gives you an additional advantage, especially if the first time. You can pick and choose the road, gas, rest and overnight stays on your terms and plan along the way for a future subsequent trip there on the bike. Nothing wrong with either decision...

I remember living in California and only visited Yosemite twice...1st time I was a teenager with too many other interests to really appreciate it...last year I went with my daughters and Coline (who had never been)...truck with teardrop trailer in tow and had an awesome time. I only wished I had equipped it with the rail for the scooter for some two wheeled fun. But if we decide to take the motorcycle next time, we know places to stop and camp. So don't worry about what others think, just enjoy Sturgis and do a litte "INTEL" and next time if you decide to motor all the way you will be ready. Who knows, you may want to make it a "family" thing the next time. All the options are yours for the taking.

We are trailering from Maine this year. We have a tight vacation schedule and if I am going to ride cross country it will be so I can enjoy it; not pounding the road for 12 + hours a day to meet a daily schedule. We will be staying in Rapid City and plan on doing as much riding as we can while there and little partying (well, there is the Aerosmith Concert!).

I rode from Idaho to Sturgis in 1982 and we did have a blast. Rode all day and sleep on the ground next to my bike in rest stops to and from. We camped in the Sturgis Dairy Queen Parking Lot and did very little riding or sightseeing; spent most of my time in the Sturgis bars or passed out in my tent sleeping off the drunk I tied on the night before. I plan on avoiding that youthful mistake and enjoying my trip this time.

I have plenty of badges and patches that I no longer wear; "earning" an "I Rode Mine" patch because of peer pressure doesn't mean that much to me at this point in my life.

It's a "Bike" rally ride it. The point of the whole thing was the trip there and the rally. Over the years that has changed to a trailer your ride and buy as much junk as possible and trailer home. Personally I think if you are pulling a trailer then you should be going to an RV rally. Or like my friends Daytona patch says "I rode my bike to trailer week"...

I'd already made up my mind when I posted this but good fun to hear what others think. I'm going to take enough time off and ride up. I did pause to think about it because of Jay Barbieri. In his book "Bikers Handbook" he recommends fly and ride so as to have more time to ride the scenic areas there. He makes sense but you know, this whole darn country is pretty scenic and I know I'll enjoy the trip from first to last. My mantra will be to enjoy the ride. If I make it to sturgis, great, if I don't, well there's next year. I wont put myself in the mindset of I have to ride x number of miles a day. Should be a great trip, I have a wonderful bike, a great lady to ride with, and enough time off to sight see along the way. Can't wait!

You'll never get through Sturgis with a trailer anyway, and there won't be any place to park it. There's Too many Bikes:p

Ride ride ride ride ride

Ride!!
the fact that you already think that trailering the bike there is lame should be enough for you to completely forget that idea. you will regret not having a "i rode mine" patch if you don't ride.

I'd already made up my mind when I posted this but good fun to hear what others think. I'm going to take enough time off and ride up. I did pause to think about it because of Jay Barbieri. In his book "Bikers Handbook" he recommends fly and ride so as to have more time to ride the scenic areas there. He makes sense but you know, this whole darn country is pretty scenic and I know I'll enjoy the trip from first to last. My mantra will be to enjoy the ride. If I make it to sturgis, great, if I don't, well there's next year. I wont put myself in the mindset of I have to ride x number of miles a day. Should be a great trip, I have a wonderful bike, a great lady to ride with, and enough time off to sight see along the way. Can't wait!

Happy guy.. :bigsmiley12:

enjoy !

Back