free website stats program Ride-On Tire Sealant/Balancer | Harley Davidson Forums

Ride-On Tire Sealant/Balancer

hogcowboy

Any of you use Ride-On Sealant/Balancer? I gather you are supposed to take any wheel weights off after you install the stuff. But I'm wonder if anyone left the weights on and how that turned out.

Two of the guys I rode to Sturgis with this year used Ride On. They had no complaints. I use Dyna beads, and have no complaints. I wouldn't ADD it to already balanced tires because it's just extra expense. As for the puncture sealing ability of Ride on, I know nothing.

I put that sealant in my rear wheel back in the summer to seal a pin hole leak,
left the weight on, no leak and no balance problem.

I put that sealant in my rear wheel back in the summer to seal a pin hole leak,
left the weight on, no leak and no balance problem.

Did you remove the existing balance weights? Did you notice you and the OP have the same bike??

........... Did you notice you and the OP have the same bike??

I did. Don't know how many of that color combo they made but I've seen several. Heard by one guy he thought it was fairly rare but I doubt it. Unless it's a bad luck combo and most are wrecked already.

I use Ride-On Tire Sealant and Balancer in both my bikes. Was formerly a "Dyna-Beads" advocate, but the additional puncture proofing feature of the Ride-On sold me.

Notes:

1.) I removed all weights.

2.) Check if your wheel weights are exactly straight across from each other on either side of the wheel. If they are off-set, then you have an Axial imbalance, that neither Ride-On nor Dyna Beads will resolve. These products act on Radial imbalance, not Axial (side to side). If you have a severe Axial imbalance, you likely hit something, or have a defective wheel. If you have a spoked rim, then you need to true the wheel.

3.) With the Ride-on, I went to Home Depot and bought a foot long piece of clear tubing, which made the installation 20 X easier. Tube supplied with the kit is too short, IMO.

4.) Make sure you get the right amount in. I just propped up the squeeze bottle upright and let the remaining stuff drip to the bottom after a while. Then a quick final squeeze and you get the remainder out.

5.) This stuff only works in tall, thin motorcycle tires, not in low profile car tires. It only coats the portion of the tire that contacts the road when the bike is upright, not the sidewalls.

6.) It does work in tubed tires, but is only about 65% effective (as compared to tubeless tires). Better than nothing sez me!

7.) This product is NOTHING like Slime or other strictly tire sealants. It is NOT corrosive to rims, and it becomes a layer of removable, flexible gel when set up. You can - if you wish - remove it and transfer it to another tire if you wanted to.

If you read the Internet reviews, the majority of the "negative" reviews are oddly from folks who have never tried it, and also confuse it with "Slime" type products. I also notice that most "negative" reviwewers seem to have either used it improperly, or have used it on the incorrect style tire (Wide). Same as in Dyna beads reviews.

I think it works great. Smooth as glass ride, zero vibrations, etc. I also see about 25% more tire life, which I attribute to the elimination of vibrations.

Can't say anything about punctures, as I haven't had any. There are many YouTube videos displaying tests on the puncture feature, which look impressive enough for me. If it saves one single blow-out on the freeway, it's worth it.. sez me!:D

Bob

2.) Check if your wheel weights are exactly straight across from each other on either side of the wheel. If they are off-set, then you have an Axial imbalance, that neither Ride-On nor Dyna Beads will resolve. These products act on Radial imbalance, not Axial (side to side). If you have a severe Axial imbalance, you likely hit something, or have a defective wheel. If you have a spoked rim, then you need to true the wheel.

That sounds good but I have a question on your number 2 statement. When you say wheel weights across from each other. Which are you referring. A weight at the bottom has a weight at the top, or a weight on the right side has a weight on the left?

Also I've had two blowouts at highway speeds and it is not fun. That's why I'm going with this stuff. Getting ready to put new front and rear on so want to do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weight on the right side and a weight on the left. If they are directly across the rim from each other, and evenly weighted... good. If they are noticeably offset, you have an axial imbalance. Rim is skewed out of alignment, bent, etc. If it is a spoked wheel, it needs truing.

I'm 100% sold on the Ride-On product BTW. Won't leave home without it!

Bob

I just put new tires on my ultra front and rear removed all the wheel weights-installed 90 degree valve stems then added the proper amount of ride on according to their chart aired up the tires to factory specs and went for a 20 mile ride.I cannot believe how smooth this has made my ultra from a rolling start to 100mph it is glass smooth best investment i have made in years.not to mention my last rear tire had a nail magnet we will about the flat tire thing soon

OLBill

Okay got it Bob. Thanks. I've been using a tire sealant already on other bikes but this is the first time I'm going with Ride-On with this bike.

Back