RG Outer Fairing -- (Sidecar Wiring?)

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by LtDan1, Oct 21, 2010.

1. LtDan1

LtDan1 Member

I heard a guy say "You're not a real RG Rider until you've had the Outer Fairing off." Based on recent experience I'd suggest modifying that to be, "You're not a real RG Rider until you've gotten your outer fairing back on!" Gy--olley -- what a hassle. Maybe I never found the right part of the shop manual, but it was very little help. I ended up removing the headlights to get the "slots" over the "hooks" -- then installed the headlights back from the outside. There may be some place in the manual that tells you to do that -- but I didn't find it. I found that solution after about 2 hours of other hassle, then "sitting down to think about it." I think my wiring harness may be part of the problem. There's what seems to be a ton of extra stuff on it, all labeled for "sidecar" this, that, and the other -- mostly sidecar audio stuff. Is that a standard part of the RG wiring harness -- does anybody know? I think my Outer Fairing might have been a lot easier to get back on without all that sidecar stuff in there -- And if someone added all that, I might consider going back to a stock version wiring set up just to clean it up in there. Anyway, Now waiting for my +2" upper brake line, and I think I'll have this thing back on the road.
  2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I've had mine off several times and you are correct that putting it back on is a hassel. Your problem with the wiring harness is probably the gremlin that I don't have to deal with. I find that I am reluctant to hold the fairing high enough to get the hooks under the slots on the headlight piece. Once I get past this I now can take mine off and back on in about 5 min.
  3. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

It can be a real pain. Like Don said hold it up high enough for the clips to be able to seat.